Category: Auras and Chakras Hits: 2372
The solar plexus chakra is located just above the belly button, and is associated with the colour yellow.
This chakra governs all aspects of personal power. Power encompasses many qualities, including strength, courage, fortitude, and the ability to achieve. Having a strong solar plexus chakra means you are able to get what you want in life: to set goals and take action on them.
The energy of the solar plexus becomes very pronounced during the teenage years. We often associate this stage with conflict between the teenager and her parents. This is because the solar plexus is becoming stronger at this time, and we begin to develop our own ‘inner adult’ – the part of us that can make choices and decisions independently of our parents. The burgeoning solar plexus energy also helps us to form an identity and sense of self that is separate from the family unit in which we have grown up.
The solar plexus chakra also governs the realm of taking responsibility for your life. The truth inherent in this chakra is that we alone are responsible for our own happiness and success; we have the power to direct the course of our lives through our actions, habit, and choices.
When the Solar Plexus Chakra Is in Balance…
A balanced solar plexus chakra allows you to be both assertive and respectful when dealing with other people.
It also means that you can set a goal, and then take actions that are aligned with that goal. When the solar plexus chakra is strong and in balance, you have the stamina and focus to ‘stay the course’ and see your plan through to the end.
Those who have a balanced solar plexus understand what is and what is not within their sphere of influence. Such a person does not try to change other people, or interfere in situations which are none of her business. She understands that others have free will too.
When the Solar Plexus is out of Balance…
When there is an imbalance in the solar plexus chakra, it can manifest as one or more of the following:
- Fear – being controlled by your own or someone else’s fears about life.
- Aggressive behaviour, such as making personal attacks on people
- Passive behaviour; not standing up for oneself; allowing others to intrude on one’s space
- Feeling jealous in relationships
- Engaging in power plays or manipulative behaviour in order to gain control over others
- Feeling lethargic or unmotivated; having no direction in life
- A tendency to blame others for one’s unhappiness or lack of success; shying away from claiming complete ownership of one’s life
- Angry explosions – when the solar plexus is imbalanced, a person may feel unable to assert their boundaries. Such a person is likely to become excessively angry when the resentments pile up.
- Feeling as if you don’t have a choice in how other people treat you, or what kind of life you create for yourself
Reasons for Solar Plexus Chakra Imbalances and Blockages
- Growing up with an overbearing or controlling parent:
Being taught to mindlessly surrender to authority at all times as a child or adolescent can affect our sense of sovereignty and independence later on; causing a person to feel a need to run their decisions past someone else.
- Having tendencies towards ‘people pleasing’
- Having been in an abusive relationship:
Abusive relationships can wreak havoc on the solar plexus chakra because they set up patterns of behaviour and belief which drain your power. It can be very helpful to cut the cord of attachment to an abusive partner. Cutting these cords of attachment can help to break the cycle of attracting abusive partners.
- Having been part of an organization or group that seeks to curb your self-authority or independence of thought:
An example of an organization that seeks to do this is a religious cult. Any religious group that encourages you to abandon your inner authority and discernment is detrimental to the solar plexus chakra.
Below are some suggestions to bolster the solar plexus chakra:
- Work on assertiveness. If you have a history of being a people pleaser, start sleeping on requests before you agree to them. Practise saying no when you don’t want to do something.
- When going into a difficult situation/conversation, imagine your solar plexus chakra expanding and growing in size until it is a few metres outside of your body.
- Take a self-defense/martial arts class
- Watch Amy Cuddy’s TED talk on ‘power poses’ – how to alter your body language and posture to increase confidence
- Take heed of the message within your anger. Anger shows that a boundary has been violated and action is usually needed as a result. Anger is the solar plexus talking to you about what is acceptable to you.
- Honour the sovereignty of others – curb any desires to ‘rescue’ those around you. Grant others the space and responsibility to change their lives.
- If someone is treating you badly, express your standards and consequences for such behaviour
- Refuse to settle for something that isn’t exactly what you want – even if you feel like you’re rocking the boat
- Cut cords of attachment to overbearing or overprotective parents, abusers, and anyone controlling in your life
Resources for Solar Plexus Issues:
For those who are interested in rebalancing their energy system, I offer a Chakra Meditation kit which teaches you to read, heal, open, clear out and rebalance your entire chakra system. It’s a do–it–yourself guide that includes an audio meditation, e–book and a discount to the Intuitive Awakening course.
Is your solar plexus chakra in balance?