Category: Inspired Mind Hits: 1230
On certain days, you come across people that truly shock you. Whether they have a stinky attitude or exhibit rude behavior, you want to say something — especially when you or someone else is directly affected by their actions.
Unfortunately, as we go through life, there will always be rude, unpleasant people that we encounter. After all, c’est la vie — that’s life. You cannot change people who are unwilling to change themselves. But you can change your own approach and attitude.
Why are people so stinkin’ rude?
The reasons why people are rude come down to a wide range of possible factors, including environmental and physiological explanations. We’re all unique beings and for some, a serious attitude adjustment is needed.
At the end of the day, the possible causes of someone’s rude behavior are vast. Whether they are ignorant or displaying their perceived “worth” of any individual, rude behavior will not get you very far in this life. After all, you’ve more than likely heard the saying, “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.”
Meaning, when you’re a kind, positive individual, you will get more out of life — especially in terms of strong social relationships. In this life, we get what we give. And if you’re a miserable, rude person, you may not only negatively affect others, but also cheat yourself.
Science says rude behavior is contagious
Perhaps we should focus less on why people are rude and more on the consequences, including the unfortunate “contagious” nature of rude behavior. Multiple studies have shown that rude behavior spreads like wildfire, especially within one’s work environment.
According to one study, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, incivility — or rude, unsociable behavior — was actually contagious. When exposed to rude behavior in the morning, individuals had less self-control later in the day, resulting in greater incivility.
Don’t let rude people get to you and affect your own personal well-being. Here’s what to do instead.
1. Ignore them
As long as a rude individual isn’t threatening anyone, sometimes it’s best to leave them be. I used to get so upset when someone was unjustly rude to me. But I soon came to realize that hey, it’s not me, it’s you. That individual has to go through life being that miserable — don’t allow it to affect you.
With that being said, if someone is rude that you personally, know and it seems to be out of character for that individual, that’s when you no longer ignore them. Instead, ask them if they’re alright. After all, you never know what’s happening in someone’s life, causing them to lash out — especially if it’s unlike them.
2. Speak up
I’ve always been fairly reserved, but over the past couple of years, I’ve toughened up a bit. I’ve learned that there’s a time and a place for everything, especially when confronting someone who exhibits poor behavior. In some cases, speaking up is simply the right thing to do.
Last year, during the busy holiday season, a young girl was being verbally attacked, simply because she worked in a retail store that did not offer refunds. In their store policy, it was clear that they would only offer an exchange or store credit. A lady was absolutely livid, to the point where she was calling this poor girl names and pointing her finger in the innocent employee’s face.
Standing behind her in line, I had to step in. In this case, she was a bit of a loon. Nothing I could say would calm her down. But in many other cases, if others are getting involved, the individual may step back for a moment and rethink their negative approach.
3. Remain calm
If there’s one thing I learned early in life, it was that you never fight fire with fire. If someone is rude or shouting, how will it help if you reciprocate their poor behavior?
I always think of something my mom would say when I was a kid, “If you bark at a dog, it’ll bark back.” Meaning, as humans, we can bring out the worst in one another. And if you begin “barking” at an already irritated individual, you can bet on a poor outcome.
Shouting matches do not help anyone. If anything, they will cause unnecessary stress in your life, something which we all need to manage more effectively. The best thing to do is take a deep breath. Express your opinion, and if the individual continues to yell or act erratic, then it’s your job to walk away.
4. Remember, everyone has their days
Maybe not within this specific moment, but have you ever been the rude person? We’re complex beings. Unfortunately, we have bad days. For some, it can be tough to “switch off” negative emotions. And even if you’re not the cause of their distress, you may experience a bit of backlash. If someone was rude to you once, give them the benefit of the doubt — after all, we’re only human.
5. Never take it personally
If you try to please every single person in this life, you will die a very tired and unfilled individual. You may be the loveliest person on the planet, yet there will still be someone out there who has something negative or hurtful to say.
With the rise of the Internet, online bullying has become a significant issue. You may not be able to control what someone else says or does, but you can control how you let their words or actions affect you. When someone is rude and it’s completely uncalled for, don’t ever take it personally.
Some people need to fight their own demons before they can find inner peace. When you come across unkind individuals, please remember not to take it personally. You and your loved ones know who you are and what you have to offer this world — that’s all that matters.
6. Understand that rude behavior may be a habit
Habit formation is when new behaviors become automatic. This is because when you repeat certain behavioral patterns, these habits become etched into our brains. The more you enforce a behavior, the more likely it is to become part of your routine.
What’s interesting is that cultural differences can also create habits that are seen as rude. When we think of rude behavior, we associate this type of negativity with road rage or hurtful comments. When immersed in other cultures, however, the act of blowing your nose in public would be considered rude.
We create habits based on our social norms. And if someone believes that being a rude individual is normal, they will likely continue to behave inappropriately. If you’re ever in a rut and your emotions are beginning to affect others, please practice positive thinking. Create new psychological habits!
7. Count to 10
If you’re ever dealing with a rude individual, you need to stay level-headed. Sometimes, when someone upsets us, our natural reaction is to get upset. Instead, I want you to count to ten.
After you take a deep breath, ask yourself, is this worth loosing my cool? Is this situation worth my energy? Just because someone else chooses to behave poorly, does not mean that you need to alter your own beliefs or attitude. In fact, be the bigger person — you may teach the rude person a thing or two.
You are only in charge of you
At the end of the day, you need to lead by example. The saying, “Treat others as you’d like to be treated,” cannot be emphasized enough here. You are in charge of one person and one person only — you.
If you are experiencing consistently rude behavior within a relationship, for instance, please remember your self-worth. No one should make it seem as though it’s hard to love you. Help those you can. And if they’re not willing to help themselves, sometimes it’s best to say goodbye.
Just remember, rude behavior is contagious. So go ahead, spread those positive vibes!
— Krista Hillis
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
© 2008-2018 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved.
Archive: Inspired Mind
- 2018 (30)
- March (10)
- • Reminders to Release Comparison and Competition
- • Sleep Hypnosis to Become Your Ideal Self
- • Earth Day Tips: Seven Ways to Save Energy, Planet, and Money
- • What It Means To Live In A Reality Of Necessary Distractions
- • What I Learned After Years of Going Against My Intuition
- • Reduce Anxiety: Sleep Hypnosis to Reduce & Reverse Anxiety
- • Calling All Trailblazers
- • A Powerful Practice for Healing & Forgiveness
- • Therapeutic Journaling: How to Use Journaling to Help Solve Life’s Biggest Challenges
- • Visualising Illness into Wellness
- February (10)
- • How I Transformed My Relationship with Fear
- • Creating A Successful, Future Version Of Yourself
- • Why Do We Have Resistance To Change
- • 7 Powerful Tips to Help You Become Fearless
- • Answer Your Heart’s Wake-up Calls With More Love And Less Fear
- • Lessons in Vulnerability
- • What I Wish I’d Known Before An Unexpected Loss
- • Day Dreamer
- • My Favorite Reminder to Help Relieve Anxiety
- • The Long Journey from Having, to Doing, to Being
- January (10)
- • 6 Things You Should Never Share With Other People
- • Remembering the Importance of Play
- • 22 Things That Have Become a Norm Since 2012
- • The 4 Benefits of Setting Healthy Boundaries
- • 6 Techniques to Stop Worrying
- • Working with Shame
- • Managing the Monkey Mind
- • New Beginnings with Love
- • Reconciling With The Divine Masculine In Us & Making Peace With Masculine Energies
- • By Doing What You Love, Success Will Follow
- March (10)
- 2017 (155)
- December (14)
- • Powerful Steps in Making Changes In Your Personal Cycle
- • The Right Thing To Do
- • Nine Tips To Start 2018 The Best Way
- • The Pleasure Monologues
- • Feelings Are Always Right
- • Reviewing Your Personal Cycles And Patterns For 2018
- • Powerful Steps To Changes In Your Personal Cycle!
- • Ego or Heart-Based Coping
- • Encouraging Children To Achieve Their Dreams
- • The Spirit of Love
- • The Process Of Expansion
- • 11 Ways to Overcome the Feeling That You Don’t Want to Live Anymore
- • The Importance of Feeling Your Feelings: My 5-Step Process
- • The You of Today Is Not the You of Tomorrow: Lessons on Change and Impermanence
- November (14)
- • What It Means To Ride Out Change
- • 5 Hacks Highly Successful Entrepreneurs Use to Stay Laser-Focused
- • The Importance of Slowing Down
- • Why the Search for Happiness Keeps Making Us Sad - Chasing Rainbows
- • Forgive the Story
- • Embracing Imperfection
- • Getting Started With Adult Coloring
- • The Opposite Of Stress
- • Letting Go Of Perfect
- • Five Keys to Freedom and Forgiveness
- • Ultimate Guide To Happiness
- • People Who Have Struggled Most In Life Are Always The Kindest
- • The Six Stages of Managing Letdowns
- • 7 Ways To Get Back On Track When You Hate Your Life
- October (10)
- • 3 Reminders for Stressful Times
- • A Conscious Compassionate Action Movement
- • The Dalai Lama's 18 Rules For Living
- • My #1 Practice for Feeling Free
- • How Kindness Can Reduce Wrinkles
- • 10 Unusual Ways to Earn Money as a Writer
- • The 5 Best Pieces of Advice I’ve Received
- • Breath of Love
- • Finding Happiness in Dark Times
- • The Importance of Setting Boundaries
- September (14)
- • Clearings to Help In Drawing Healthy Boundaries
- • It’s Ok to Disagree
- • A Peaceful Heart
- • The Attachment Trap
- • It’s Okay to Let them Go & Not Forget Them
- • 7 Signs You Are Socially Awkward And How To Fix It
- • 5 Ways To Tap Into Your Creativity
- • The Importance of Trusting Yourself
- • Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People? Is The Wrong Question.
- • Reframing Thoughts for Success
- • 10 Secrets to Having a Great Day That Everyone Misses
- • Asking for Help
- • 10 Important Truths About Life That Take Most People A Lifetime To Figure Out
- • When You Just Feel Like Escaping The Game of Life
- August (12)
- • 5 Grounding Exercises to Maintain Balance When Life Gets Hectic
- • The Importance Of Choosing Your Vibration
- • Beating Burnout
- • Resisting the Intentional Opposite
- • How to Use a Gratitude Journal To Change Your Life
- • A 5 Minute Morning Ritual to Start Every Day Off Right
- • How I Manage Uncertainty
- • 5 Steps to Being the Change You Wish to See
- • Build a Healthy Relationship with Yourself
- • You Practice The Occult Every Day Because Words Are Magic Spells
- • Releasing Feelings of Unworthiness
- • Dealing With Chaotic Energies & Still Manifesting Happiness
- July (13)
- • How to Make the Most Out of Every Moment
- • Getting Comfortable with the Uncomfortable
- • 10 Incredible Things Pain Can Teach You
- • Honoring Life
- • 3 Question Tibetan Test Reveals Your Personality!
- • Freedom From Your Inner-Judge
- • Growing Strong Beyond Religious Believe Systems And Limitations
- • 5 Affirmations for Cultivating Self-Love
- • Regret Nothing
- • The Pursuit of Everyday Happiness and The Danish Art of Hygge
- • How Talking To Yourself Could Actually Mean You Are A Genius
- • 10 Harsh Truths of Life as an Over-thinker with a Sensitive Heart
- • Change This Habit, Change Your Life
- June (11)
- • Using Intentions to Transform Your Life
- • Letting Go Of Attachment
- • Humility - Sacred Sunday
- • Becoming Proud
- • 10 Things Successful People Do in the Morning
- • The Four Questions I Ask Myself Every Day
- • 9 Powerful Benefits of Sitting in Silence
- • What Makes Us Who We Are?
- • Creating a Healthy Relationship with Time
- • Our Precious Planet
- • 7 Ways to Clear Your Mind of Negative Thinking
- May (15)
- • Remembering the Importance of Gratitude
- • 6 Surprising Disadvantages of Being Highly Intelligent
- • 10 Things Never Learned in School
- • 4 Common Spiritual Myths & 1 Spiritual Truth
- • On Having the Courage to Change Your Life Story
- • Silence Your Inner Critic - 4 Words You Need to Stop Using for a Better Life
- • Give up Living Your Life According to Other People’s Expectations and Live It Your Way Instead
- • What Having a Peaceful Mind Means to Me
- • 5 Myths that Prevent You From Living Life to Your Fullest Potential
- • Gratefulness - How to Live Each Day to the Fullest
- • How Kindness Can Heal The Body
- • How to Make Big Life Changes Less Scary
- • World-Wide White Hat Takeover
- • There’s a Reason Why Being Kind-Hearted Attracts Toxic People
- • The One Habit That Robs You of Happiness
- April (15)
- • Why It’s So Important to Pursue Your Dreams
- • Emotional Suicide: The High Cost Of An Unfeeling Life
- • Releasing Codependency
- • The Greatest, Fastest, Surest Way To Experience Joy And Happiness
- • 20 Pieces of Important Life Advice From People Over 60
- • This Is The Day You Become A Better Person
- • When All Hope Is Gone
- • 15 Things That We Should All Stop Doing To Ourselves For Better Health And Happiness!
- • When Toxic Or Negative Energy Is Affecting You
- • Finding Purpose in Pain
- • Adjusting to Change Without Fear – The 7 Stages of Becoming Real
- • The One Feeling We Cannot Ignore
- • The Magnificent Life Mantra
- • The Wisdom of Silence: Learning to Talk Less and Say More
- • Empty Your Hurt And Open Your Heart
- March (8)
- • As one goes up – the other comes down
- • Michelle’s Choosing to See the Good Challenge
- • The 10 Commandments For Happiness
- • Four Steps to Cure Feeling Obligated
- • How to Be More Present
- • On Having the Courage to Walk Alone
- • 5 Times the Universe Had Your Back (Even Though You Didn’t Know It!)
- • Finding Freedom In Forgiveness
- February (17)
- • The Power of Practicing Acceptance
- • Pay It Forward
- • My Hope for You: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
- • How to Be Your Own Best Friend
- • Stop being afraid of yourself
- • What Others Think About You Is None Of Your Business
- • Born to be kind
- • How to attract love and prosperity
- • Beings of Love
- • Healing Depression: Valuable Truths to Help You Get Through Hard Times
- • 4 Habits That Add Stress to Your Life
- • The Biggest Disease Affecting Us: I’m Not Enough
- • This Comic Will Change The Way You Look At Privilege Forever
- • 5 Ways to Release Judgement & Criticism of Others
- • The Most Attractive Quality
- • On Keeping Your Dreams Alive
- • 7 Things You Can Do When Someone Is Rude
- January (12)
- • Receive the Hong Bao of Infinite Abundance
- • The Power of Your Words
- • Empowering Love
- • 2017 Year of the Rooster: A Wake-up Call
- • 30 Life Changing Lessons to Learn from Tony Robbins
- • How to Deal with Change
- • Forget the Past and Move On
- • Molecules of Kindness
- • 5 Quick Fixes When Feelings Get The Best Of You.
- • The best habit to develop in 2017
- • There Are 3 Ways To React To Failure (And One Of Them Guarantees Growth)
- • On Living Life like a Human Being, Not a Human Doing
- December (14)
- 2016 (115)
- December (10)
- • 15 Things You Don’t Owe Anyone At All (Though You Think You Do)
- • Your Love Shines Bright
- • Michelle’s Guide for a Peaceful Holiday
- • 6 Undeniable Reasons to Love Where You Are Right Now
- • Embracing Your Magnificence
- • Michelle’s December Kindness Challenge
- • The Science of High Performance in Sport
- • A Spiritual Guide to Dealing With Family Over the Holidays 2016
- • How to Find the Courage to Disappoint Your Family to Be True to Yourself
- • We Were Born for These Times
- November (11)
- • Gratitude in Action
- • 5 Affirmations for Dealing with Fear
- • The Wisdom of Stepping into The Unknown
- • 10 Thought Patterns That Will Leave You Feeling Stuck
- • 4 Powerful Truths That Will Change Your Life
- • Post-Election Path to Peace
- • 4 Ways to Release Fear From your Life
- • How to Keep Setbacks From Holding You Back
- • Why the Hell Would I Want to Skin a Cat?
- • When Should You Quit Your Job and Go After Your Passion?
- • How to Manage Stress During Stressful Times
- October (12)
- • Self Love: 5 Important Things You Should Know about It
- • Does a placebo work if you know it’s a placebo?
- • My Biggest Struggle and How I Overcome It
- • Women, Wisdom and Love
- • 4 Questions That Will Shift Your Life to a Whole New Level
- • Are You a People Pleaser? Here is How to Claim Back Your Self-Worth
- • This Simple Principle Changed My Life
- • How to be a leader of light
- • How a child with Chickenpox stopped itching
- • How to Shift from a Fixed Mindset into a Growth Mindset
- • 3 Simple Ways to Deepen Your Relationships
- • 4 Easy Tips to Create Happiness and Freedom Every Day
- September (8)
- • A Really Big Idea
- • The #1 Key to Finding Happiness
- • How to Release and Let Go of the Stories You Keep Telling Yourself
- • 6 Common Habits That Are Holding You Back
- • The 3 Types of Energy Behind Your Anxiety
- • The #1 Key to Figuring Out Your Purpose
- • How to use visualisation to boost your self-love
- • 10 Day Digital Detox: The Ups, Downs, & How You Can Do It Too!
- August (7)
- July (10)
- • The #1 Way to Bridge Our Differences
- • The Time Myth: You Have Nowhere to Be but Here
- • You’re Under NO Obligation
- • Choosing Love Over Fear
- • On Having the Courage to Follow Your Heart and Intuition
- • 10 Signs from the Universe That You Are Walking The Wrong Way
- • 5 Affirmations for Difficult Times
- • Outpourings of Love
- • When Things Get Good, Why Do Bad Things Happen?
- • What Freedom Means to Me & How I Live Freely
- June (12)
- • How to Let Go Of Something That No Longer Serves You
- • 5 Reminders for Difficult Times
- • The Miracle of Divine Perception
- • Are You Getting What You Deserve In Your Life?
- • How The Happiest Man On Earth Stays Happy.
- • 5 Self-Sabotaging Habits
- • The Control Dramas-A Lesson From “The Celestine Prophecy”
- • Courage
- • The Amazing Science Behind Earthing
- • The Highest Good Of Creativity.
- • The Universe is So Alive!
- • 8 Important Reminders When You Are Finding it Hard to Forgive
- May (17)
- • Gifts To Receive Right Here. Right Now.
- • 5 Ways to Give Up Complaining and Boost Your Positivity
- • 6 Signs You Need A Major Life Change
- • When People Can’t Hear You: Vibrational Differences
- • 5 Questions to Help You Find Your Path
- • How to deflect negative emotion
- • How to Manifest Your Desires With an Open Mind
- • Why It’s OK To Procrastinate: Staying In The Zone.
- • Feeling Your Way to Feeling Better
- • Why You Haven’t Been Lucky In Love
- • The Power Of A Smile
- • Noticing What We Take In
- • How to Have a Better Relationship with Time
- • Living happily ever after…
- • Make a Wish! 19 Magical Moments to Ask for What You Want
- • How to Incorporate Meditation into Your Daily Activities
- • Why You’re Like A Wild Flower Even Though You Don’t Know It
- April (15)
- • Let’s Talk About Abundance For A Moment
- • Finding Your Center When You Are Emotionally Triggered
- • How to slow ageing
- • Turn Your Unhappiness Into Happiness In Five Easy Steps
- • Don’t Let Your Research Kill Your Dreams!
- • New Study Reveals Why Intelligent People Are Usually Loners
- • How to Be Ok With Your Anger and Other Negative Emotions
- • How to Persevere When You Feel like Giving Up
- • Finding A Friendly Universe When It Feels Like The World’s Against You
- • Being Not Doing
- • 9 Ways to Let Go of Your Past and Start Over
- • The power of a hug
- • 3 New Views On Time To Help You Slow Down And Be Present
- • 15 Healthy Beliefs to Be Stubborn About
- • Four Lessons That Changed My Life
- March (13)
- • Why Some People Are MAGNETS for Bad Relationships
- • Are You Still Playing the Blame Game?
- • How to Make Yourself Immune to Secondhand Stress
- • How to Attract More of What You Want in Life
- • How to Let Go of Toxic Friendships Consciously
- • What Makes Us Present? This One’s A Surprise!
- • Keep Calm and Carry On: Election Edition
- • Why Silence Is Often the Best Response to a Verbal Attack
- • 6 Morning Habits That Lead To Daily Happiness
- • Setting Those Voices In Our Head Straight
- • How to Deal with Indecision
- • How Imagination Begins Manifestation
- • The Art of Self-Correction
- December (10)