Category: Inspired Mind Written by Alan Cohen Hits: 899
Studies show that many people are more afraid of public speaking than being eaten by a tiger. Many clients tell me, “I have a project I would like to present to the world, but I am petrified of being exposed.” Some ask me, “Why is it so scary to just get my book, art piece, speech, or coaching practice out there?”
Fear of exposure means that you are identifying your false small self as your real self. You believe, “If people saw the real me, they would judge, criticize, reject, or laugh at me. So I will stay safe by not showing who I really am.”
But the self you fear to be exposed is not the real you. It is the ego self, an infinitesimally small self-concept compared to who you really are. The real you is whole, gorgeous, attractive, competent, brilliantly powerful, and utterly loveable. You are a magnificent divine being, far beyond the petty aspects of a frail and defensive human personality.
If you put your true self out there, several wonderful things will happen: (1) You will fee free and exhilarated as you march beyond the illusory circle that fear has inscribed around you; (2) You will be rewarded for your authentic self by people who value the real you; (3) Your project will succeed because it is founded in genuine passion.
Sure, some people may not like you or criticize what you have to offer. But they are not your friends. They do not belong to you. You do not want them, anyway. You want to walk the journey of life with people who match you, your “just right tribe.”
A Course in Miracles urges us to remember, “In my defenselessness my safety lies.” The more energy you invest in image management, the more you drift from your true power. People who trust that who they are is good enough, find the greatest inner peace and succeed the most.
My favorite example of how authenticity outshines image management is IZ, the beloved gentle giant of a Hawaiian singer who became famous for his ukulele-accompanied version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” If you listen closely to the recording, you will hear that IZ thoroughly mixes up the words to the song. They are not the original lyrics and they don’t rhyme. He just made them up as he went along. Yet despite the fact that the lyrics are quite incorrect, and, at nearly 700 pounds, he was not the image of a rock star, that album has sold many millions and has been featured in countless movies and TV shows. IZ had a heart of gold and to this day, after his passing, is deeply beloved by his friends and fans.
You don’t have to be perfect to put your gifts out there. You just have to be you.
One more tip: If you are nervous about putting yourself out there, shift the focus from “What will people think of me?” to “How can I help?” When you are worried about people’s opinion of you, you are stuck in ego. When you are dedicated to service, you are established in Spirit. Then you both visible and invincible.
© April 2019 Alan Cohen Publications - http://www.alancohen.com - Alan Cohen is the author of many popular inspirational books, including the just-released Enough Already: The Power of Radical Contentment. For more information about Alan’s other books and free daily inspirational quotes via email, visit www.alancohen.com, email , or phone 1 808 572-0001.
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
© 2008-2018 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved.
Archive: Inspired Mind
- 2019 (16)
- April (3)
- March (4)
- February (2)
- January (7)
- 2018 (92)
- December (5)
- November (4)
- October (8)
- September (9)
- • The 5 Best Pieces of Advice I’ve Received
- • Is There An End Game?
- • How Traveling Makes You A Better Person
- • 5 Things to Stop Doing Right Now
- • My Day Talking Kindness To Young Children
- • Celebrating Life through Love
- • 4 Habits That Add Stress to Your Life
- • Autumn Reflections
- • 6 Things to Remember When Hurting
- August (6)
- July (4)
- June (5)
- May (9)
- • 5 Misconceptions of Living a Conscious Life
- • Remembering Our Shared Humanity
- • Manifesting Your Dreams
- • Releasing Distractions and Finding Focus
- • How Forgiveness Sets the Prisoner Free
- • Having Love & Respect In Our Relationships
- • Stop Over-Depending on Others and Seeking Their Approval: How to Set Yourself Free
- • 4 Mind Games to Stop Playing for More Energy and Confidence
- • Spiritual and Energy Tools To Help With De-Addiction
- April (8)
- March (14)
- • The Best Path is Your Own
- • Hello, Friends! Do You Know Your Life Purpose?
- • Sleep Hypnosis for Mind, Body & Soul Cleansing
- • The Super Human, Super Consciousness Experience...
- • Reminders to Release Comparison and Competition
- • Sleep Hypnosis to Become Your Ideal Self
- • Earth Day Tips: Seven Ways to Save Energy, Planet, and Money
- • What It Means To Live In A Reality Of Necessary Distractions
- • What I Learned After Years of Going Against My Intuition
- • Reduce Anxiety: Sleep Hypnosis to Reduce & Reverse Anxiety
- • Calling All Trailblazers
- • A Powerful Practice for Healing & Forgiveness
- • Therapeutic Journaling: How to Use Journaling to Help Solve Life’s Biggest Challenges
- • Visualising Illness into Wellness
- February (10)
- • How I Transformed My Relationship with Fear
- • Creating A Successful, Future Version Of Yourself
- • Why Do We Have Resistance To Change
- • 7 Powerful Tips to Help You Become Fearless
- • Answer Your Heart’s Wake-up Calls With More Love And Less Fear
- • Lessons in Vulnerability
- • What I Wish I’d Known Before An Unexpected Loss
- • Day Dreamer
- • My Favorite Reminder to Help Relieve Anxiety
- • The Long Journey from Having, to Doing, to Being
- January (10)
- • 6 Things You Should Never Share With Other People
- • Remembering the Importance of Play
- • 22 Things That Have Become a Norm Since 2012
- • The 4 Benefits of Setting Healthy Boundaries
- • 6 Techniques to Stop Worrying
- • Working with Shame
- • Managing the Monkey Mind
- • New Beginnings with Love
- • Reconciling With The Divine Masculine In Us & Making Peace With Masculine Energies
- • By Doing What You Love, Success Will Follow
- 2016 (1)
- October (1)
- 2012 (1)
- August (1)
- 2011 (2)
- 2010 (1)
- 2009 (4)