Category: Health Yourself Hits: 852
The Canadian government has released a new draft of their food guide which has some surprising and exciting recommendations, including favoring whole, plant-based foods and suggesting that dairy and meat products should have a smaller role in our diets.
With its new recommendations for healthy eating, it seems like the Canadian government is actually listening to what the public wants and focusing on the latest science.
The previous version of the food guide was heavily criticized as bending over backward to appease corporate lobbyists. After it was introduced in 2007, an editorial in the Canadian Medical Association Journal said it: “…promotes overconsumption. It’s too soft on highly refined carbohydrates. It considers sugary juices equivalent to fruit… It doesn’t differentiate between good and poor sources of proteins and fats.” And, of course, “It’s influenced by the food industry.”
But this new version is being praised. And if this food guide becomes a reality — the final version won’t be released until 2018 — this could mean good things for the future of food in Canada, and this development could even influence healthier food around the world.
How did Canada’s new food guide come to be?
The draft of the new food guide released by Health Canada — the department of the government of Canada with responsibility for national public health — was based on health evidence, as well as information on Canadian citizens’ eating habits, and input from the public. Reports that were commissioned by the food industry, and studies that were sponsored by the food industry, were excluded from consideration.
The last health guide, released in 2007, didn’t differentiate between whole and processed foods. It focused heavily on fruit juice and milk. It was criticized for being concerned with lobbyists and economic concerns, rather than science.
Canadian’s health is suffering — more than 60% of the population are overweight and 4 out of 5 people are at risk for developing heart disease — and Health Canada realized changes were needed. So they decided to exclude lobbyists and industry pundits from consultations for the new food guide.
The new guidelines are good for people
The old food guidelines included food categories, and dairy was one of the categories. But these new proposed guidelines do away with food categories and don’t list dairy as its own group.
They also include these recommendations:
- Focus on plant-based foods. The draft guidelines recommend regular intake of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and protein-rich foods, especially plant-based sources of protein. In their list of proteins, legumes (such as beans,) nuts and seeds, and soy products are listed first. They say a shift towards more plant-based foods is needed, without necessarily excluding animal foods altogether. They point out the need to eat less red meat and replace foods like cream, high-fat cheeses, and butter with foods such as nuts, seeds, and avocados.
- Drink plain water as the beverage of choice. In order reduce the consumption of sugar and reduce the frequency at which teeth are exposed to sugar, regular intake of water is recommended.
- Limit the intake of processed or prepared foods and beverages high in sodium and sugar.
- Plan and prepare healthy meals and snacks. Few Canadians are preparing meals from scratch and many are, instead, relying on convenience foods, so planning and preparing healthy meals at home is recommended.
- Share meals with friends and family when possible. According to the guiding principles, having meals together can reinforce positive eating habits and help children develop healthy attitudes toward food.
- Be more mindful about food. The guidelines encourage people to learn more about where food comes from and how it’s prepared. Other practices they encourage include taking time to eat and savor every bite, paying attention to feelings of hunger and fullness, and avoiding distractions while eating.
The new guidelines are good for the planet
While the guide acknowledges that the primary focus is to support human health, it acknowledges that food, “can have environmental implications, such as greenhouse gas emissions (GHG), soil degradation, decreases in water quality and availability, and wildlife loss.”
They point out that diets higher in plant-based foods and lower in animal-based foods are associated with a lesser environmental impact. And they emphasize the need to reduce food waste.
What these new guidelines could mean for Canada
While it can be easy to ignore these type of government guidelines or to think they don’t really matter, government food guides play a bigger role than you may think.
According to the National Post, Canada’s food guide is one of the most popular documents. It was downloaded more than 230,000 times with more than 1.7 million print copies.
The guidelines — however they appear in their final form — will directly impact on the food served in institutional settings, including hospitals, schools, universities, and community-based organizations. And many doctors, dieticians, corporations, and hospitals rely on the document as a source of nutritional guidance.
Here are some other ways Canadians could be impacted by the new food guide:
- Food served at schools could improve. The food children are served could shift to more plant-based and away from processed foods, fruit juice, and milk.
- Children’s nutrition education could improve. As well, children will be taught the new food guide, with up-to-date nutrition information.
- More families could start eating together.
- Hopefully, more meals will be cooked at home.
Take action to let the Canadian government know what you think about their new food guide
The food guide is only a draft right now. The public consultation process began last fall, and Health Canada has extended the deadline for public discussion until August 14th, 2017.
Industry groups, such as the dairy industry, are already lobbying to impact the final guidelines. So it’s important for people to continue to take action and let the Canadian government know what they think while they can.
To let the Canadian government know what you think about the food guide, go here.
You do have to register in order to comment and to respond to questions about each proposed guiding principle.
Implications beyond Canada
All in all, this new food guide shows that it could be possible for government food guides to avoid influence from animal-food industry groups and to promote a scientifically grounded whole foods, plant-based dietary pattern.
If the draft of Canada’s food guide becomes final, it could serve as an example to other governments, including the United States, where guidelines are often profoundly influenced by food manufacturers, food producers, and special interest groups.
All in all, we know have an abundance of medical studies, published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, which make it clear that the more people around the world who shift to healthier and more plant-based ways of eating, lives will be saved — and the planet could be saved as well.
Part of the reason Canada’s food guide made such dramatic changes is because people spoke up. Yes, it can be easy to feel disconnected and to lose hope. But people have power. You have power. So, it’s important to take action when you can, to make your voice heard, and to make healthy choices for yourself and your family every day.
If we want a healthy food future, we can’t sit back and wait for it to happen. We all have to play an active role in making changes for the better.
And that’s true no matter which country we live in.
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
© 2017 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved.
Archive: MORE Health Yourself Articles!
- 2017 (77)
- October (3)
- September (2)
- August (5)
- • The Japanese Practice Of Forest Bathing Is Scientifically Proven To Be Good For You
- • Scientists Have Discovered a Way to Destroy Cancer Tumors Using Nothing but Sound Waves
- • Study Exposes the Harmful Effects of Energy Drinks on the Heart
- • The Healing Properties And Benefits Of Aloe Vera
- • A Daily Walk Can Change Your Mind And Body
- July (13)
- • Canada’s Surprising New Proposed Health Guide Favors Plant-Based Foods and Ignores Industry Input
- • Stress - It’s Not in Your Head, it’s in Your Nervous System
- • Spiritual Meaning And Causes of Epilepsy (Seizure Disorder)
- • Holistic Healing – 6 Approaches to Try
- • Mass Protests Against Mandatory Vaccination Law In Italy
- • 31 Powerful Herbs and Supplements for Treating and Preventing Cancer Naturally
- • Applied Epigenetics: The Art and Science of DNA Activation, Healing and Repair
- • Would YOU choose to live forever?
- • Nine Major Diseases Linked To Meat Consumption
- • 3 Ways To Treat A Stomach Ulcer Naturally
- • Cure for AIDS? Bee Venom Destroys HIV Cells, Finds Washington University Study
- • Find Out Here What Baking Soda Can Do To Heal You - Baking Soda Is Truly Amazing!
- • Cancer Is A Fungus That Can Be Treated With Baking Soda! Italian Doctor Shocks The World
- June (8)
- • One Simple Step To Influence Your DNA
- • Gut Health - This Doctor’s Take Might Surprise You!
- • Live Free, Be Well
- • The Plant Of Immortality Can Cure Over 50 Different Diseases!
- • How to Live To Be 100
- • Hooray! Another Reason To Masturbate
- • Add 1 Spoon Of Honey In Water While Washing Your Face In Morning To Look Younger
- • Can Your Brain Learn To Respond To A Placebo?
- May (10)
- • Heal Yourself By Talking To Your Body
- • High & Low Blood Pressure | Atherosclerosis – Spiritual Meaning And Causes
- • My Eyes Changed Colour After Eating Raw Vegan For 6 Years
- • Distance Energy Healing - How Does it Work, How Long Does it Take & More
- • Eye Disorders - Glaucoma | Myopia | Strabismus – Spiritual Meaning And Causes + Prevention
- • Drink Glass Of Water At 6:00 AM! People All Over The World Are Doing This Now!
- • The Health Benefits Of Rubbing A Certain Finger For 60 Seconds - Japanese Healing Method
- • Pineapple Water Will Detoxify Your Body, Help You Lose Weight, And Reduce Joint Swelling And Pain
- • Grapefruit and Rosemary Water - For Weight Loss And Detox!
- • New Study Proves Meditation Can Keep Brains Young
- April (2)
- March (12)
- • Scientists Can Now Reverse DNA Aging in Mice!
- • 6 Signs That Energy is Being Released from the Body
- • Can Trauma be Passed on through our DNA?
- • The Healing Power of Serotonin
- • Scientists Find Blood From Vegans Is 8 Times More Protective Against Cancer
- • Inflammation Will Make You Age Faster. Here's Exactly What To Do About It
- • How to Spring Clean the Energy of Your Home
- • This Plant Makes Cancer Cells Disintegrate Within 48 Hours
- • Diet Responsible For 45 Percent of All Deaths From Heart Disease and Diabetes
- • 10 Relaxing Exercises for Your Eyes That Will Improve Your Eyesight
- • THIS Is What Happens To Your Body When You Chant “OM”…
- • How to Never Get Sick Again
- February (8)
- • Does Inhaling Pink Salt Really Clear Your Lungs?
- • This Body Part Predicts If You Will Die Of A Heart Attack
- • 5 Moves You Can Do At Home To Strengthen Your Core
- • One Tablespoon Of This Can Clean Out Your Bowels In Just 2 minutes!
- • Is African Marula Oil The Secret To Anti-Aging?
- • How A Greater Purpose In Life Protects Your Memory and Other Thinking Skills
- • Kegel Exercises For Bladder Control
- • Does Having Meaning In Your Life Keep You Healthy?
- January (14)
- • Lunar Beauty Rituals: Caring For Your Body Using the Cycles of the Moon
- • This Evening Trick Will Whiten Your Teeth By Morning
- • Clean Your Body From Parasites And Return To Your Normal Weight With These 2 Ingredients That You Always Have In Your House!
- • Lose Weight Just By Pressing This Point Near Your Ear
- • The Healing Power of the Akashic Records
- • Turmeric: 4 Benefits in Treating Depression
- • 7 Reasons To Do A Kidney Cleanse And What To Juice And Eat For A Good Flush
- • 4 TBSP. A DAY AND CANCER IS GONE: Russian Scientist Reveals The Most Powerful Homemade Remedy
- • Why People Who Take Naps Are More Productive: The Costanza Effect
- • Yes, You Can Manipulate Your Metabolism To Lose Weight. Here's How
- • This One Mineral Reduces Oxidative Stress, Repairs DNA, And Leads To Mechanisms Which Extend Life
- • Every Day Checklist for a Healthier Bod
- • Why You Can No Longer Ignore The Most Potent Way To Transform Your Health
- • Beginning Workplace Wellness in the New Year
- 2016 (51)
- December (4)
- November (5)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (1)
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (7)
- • The Disturbing Facts Regarding The Refined Sugar Diet
- • Sungazing : NASA Confirms Super Human Abilities Received..
- • The Energetic Side Effects of Daylight Savings Time
- • Hand Reflexology : Press The Points For Wherever You Have Pain
- • Stop Using These 5 White Poisons
- • 82 Percent of Patients Managed to Avoid Root Canals Using These Ancient Medicinal Herbs
- • This New Toothpaste Now Puts Dentists Out Of Work
- February (15)
- • 5 Reasons Grounding Will Improve Your Health And Change Your Life
- • Theta Healing Technique – How Does It Work?
- • Apple Cider Vinegar: A Weight Loss Weapon
- • When Your Body Is Too Acidic, Learn To Quickly Alkalize It!
- • Grow Back Your Receding Gums In No Time With The Help Of These Natural Remedies
- • This Is Why You Should Be Sleeping On Your Left Side
- • Revisiting Masaru Emoto — The Nikki Owen ‘Apple Experiments’
- • The Many Ways Chronic Stress Makes You Sick
- • Sacred Sex: Is The Sex You Have As Safe As You Think It Is?
- • How To REVERSE AGING!
- • Conditioning Your Mind To Heal Your Body
- • Oil Pulling: Not Just for Oral Health?
- • 10 Benefits of Organic Coconut Oil
- • The Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- • How To Make Alkaline Water In Order To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
- January (9)
- • Train Your Brain to Fall Asleep in Just 60 Seconds With This Simple Method
- • Baking Soda: Home Remedies and Old Wives Cures
- • 3 Energy Medicine Techniques That Changed My Life
- • Learn To Detox From Sugar In Just 10 Days
- • Amazing Home Remedy: Stops Cancer and Heals the Whole Body
- • Study Finds Muscle and Strength Can Be Maintained Using Just Your Mind
- • Ancient Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique Provides Instant Drug-Free Anxiety Relief
- • This Slimming Detox Drink Relieves Bloating, Jump-Starts Weight Loss And Burns Fat Like Crazy!
- • How To Stop A Migraine Instantly
- 2015 (33)
- December (5)
- November (4)
- • The Impact Of Coffee On Your Adrenal Glands
- • Every Body Part Is In The Palm Of Your Hand – Press The Points For Wherever You Have Pain
- • The Real Truth About Cavities - Use this Magical Tooth Powder to Reverse Cavities Naturally
- • Put This Mixture Under The Tongue Before Sleep And Never Wake Up Tired
- October (4)
- September (1)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (2)
- May (4)
- March (2)
- February (4)
- January (3)
- 2014 (39)
- December (3)
- November (4)
- October (1)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (3)
- March (5)
- February (13)
- • When All Else Fails To Heal You
- • Could Tree Bark Keep You Alive?
- • More Americans Are Saying “No” to Water Fluoridation While Toxic Fluorinated Pesticides Are Still Allowed
- • Could Your Health Issues Be Due To an Imbalance of Your Body’s QI Ambassador?
- • Top Vegetarian Foods for Naturally Beautiful, Healthy Skin
- • 10 Anti Aging Ingredients in Skincare Products
- • 2 Real Life Examples of Mistletoe Wiping out Cancer
- • 6 Toxic Products to Eliminate in Your Home
- • 7 Ways That Love Is Good For Your Health
- • Orgone and Indoor Plants
- • 5 Things Healthy People Do Every Day Before Work
- • Fun Facts About Hugging
- • How To Solve 9 Sleep Problems
- January (5)
- 2013 (32)
- November (3)
- October (5)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (8)
- • Fifty Shades of Pink
- • Benefits of Relaxation
- • 4 Ways to Support the Largest Organ of Detoxification: The Skin
- • Science: Sunlight Could Reduce Death Rate From All Causes
- • Can Compassion Beat Botox in the Anti Ageing Stakes?
- • Did You Know: Natural Cancer Treatments are Hidden from You – But Why?
- • Three Super-easy, Super-convenient Ways To Prevent Cavities Naturally
- • Four Ways To Rid Your Body of Fluoride's Negative Effects
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (2)
- January (2)
- 2012 (7)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (1)
- 2009 (1)
- January (1)