This article was posted by CrystalWind.ca.
5 Reasons Why We Over-Explain
Category: Inspired Mind Written by Michelle Maros
This week, I want to talk about a nuance that I have noticed in my life, especially when it comes to relationships and my people-pleasing tendencies. For most of my life, I’ve felt that instinctual need to over-explain and justify my wants, needs, actions, and desires.
From my experience, over-explaining was always a way to make the other person feel better, to convince someone that my decisions or actions weren’t personal, or even to get approval on choices made. The truth is over-explaining will never provide the comfort, reassurance, or positive reinforcement that we desire.
In reality, over-explaining just exhausts, drains, and confuses us.
If this dynamic resonates with you, know that you are not alone in feeling this way! This week, I’m sharing five common reasons we tend to over-explain, so that we can cultivate that keen awareness to creative positive change.
- You have a past of being gaslit or people twisting your words. This can make you feel like you’re the problem, like you don’t remember what you said, and that you are the one who needs to over-extend to make things right. If you’ve been gaslit in your life, start now reaffirming your lived experiences and your self-knowing.
- You want to avoid judgment or being misunderstood. So much of my history with over-explaining stems from wanting to be liked and understood. Remember, the people in your life who are meant to be there, won’t require long explanations, they will accept you as you are.
- You are afraid to set healthy boundaries. As we know, boundary-setting can be a challenging practice in the beginning, but so rewarding when they are finally in place. It can be easy to fall into a pattern of over-explaining to avoid setting the boundaries we know deeply are needed. Look to see if there is a boundary you are avoiding.
- You don’t want to be wrong or blamed. Again, I deeply can relate to the extreme desire of avoiding being wrong. But the truth is, we all will be wrong, or even need to accept blame in life. And it is okay. Rather than avoiding the unavoidable, seek to cultivate that strong foundation from within, to know who you are and what you want, so that you can take aligned actions, every day. This will help you feel confident in your day-to-day interactions, and less likely feel the need to over-explain.
- You are seeking approval. We all want to feel the support and love from people in our lives. I think this is innate in all of us, but we should not need to convince people of our life’s path. Remember, we all have unique life experiences and circumstances, and the people in our lives may not fully understand what it’s like to be you. You don’t need other people’s approval to move forward in the life that you desire.
Remember, when we over-explain, we are seeking for ways to cope, you don’t have to justify your feelings, preferences, or desires. The more we can feel confident and secure in our lives and our choices, the less we will feel the need to over-explain.
© 2023 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved. We track all IP addresses with sniffer technology. Using a Proxy/VPN will not hide your IP address.
Spirit Animal Totem Of The Day!
Crystal Of The Day!
Who is Online Now
We have 1326 guests and no members online
Featured This Month
Deer – Moss Agate – Yarrow – Green and White May 21 to June 20 The Cornpla... Read more
Deer is not only a medicine someone can carry, it is a Native American birth... Read more
Sun in Gemini
Sun in Gemini May 21 through June 20 An Overview of Sun Sign Characteristic... Read more
Birth Totem - Deer
Birth dates: May 21 - June 20 Birth Totem is: Deer Clan of: Butterfly (Air... Read more
The Story Behind the Gemini Zodiac Sign The origins of some constellation m... Read more
Crystal Gem: Grids and Gridding
What are Crystal Gem Grids? They are tools for empowerment, for blessings, ... Read more
The Hawthorn Tree - May 13 - June 9
Celtic Symbol : The Chalice Zodiac Degrees : 21º00` Taurus - 17º59 Gemini ... Read more
A Simple Summer Solstice Ritual with Crystal…
June 20, 2016 is this year’s summer solstice, marking&n... Read more
The Energy Buster Stone Rutilated Quartz is an illuminator for the soul, pr... Read more
Litha Sabbat - The Summer Solstice
Gardens are blooming, and summer is in full swing. Fire up the barbeque, turn ... Read more
Litha - The Midsummer Solstice
The Litha festival is one of the lesser Sabbats of the Witches annual calend... Read more