Category: Journeys Hits: 2245
I’ve read around many sources concerning one classic psychological phenomenon: Cognitive Dissonance. However, it seemed that every site I read from was trying to numb my mind with advanced terminology. It almost seemed they’d reached for a thesaurus and changed every word I read, so that “Hello, my name is John” becomes “Greetings, one may accost me by the appellation comprehended as John.”
If, like me, you prefer things to be kept simple – then this is the perfect post for you. Cognitive Dissonance is a difficult concept to understand, and I can’t exactly explain it without using at least some important terms. So I’ll try to keep things as simple as can be – whilst keeping the post academic also. I hope this helps! Enjoy!
So what is Cognitive Dissonance?
Cognitive Dissonance (or disharmony) is a state of conflict in the mind, whereby you have two opposing views at the same time. The theory suggests that the mind naturally wants to eliminate dissonance where possible. How can it do this? By changing the way you feel about or perceive certain things (changing your attitudes and beliefs). Cognitive Dissonance is normally strongest when we think about ourselves in a certain way, then do something to oppose that belief. For example, if Simon thinks he is an animal lover, and then kicks a cat in the street for getting in his way, there will be a huge level of tension in his mind. To reduce this, the mind will change his beliefs and attitude, or blame, deny or justify:
- “The cat deserved it for running in front of a larger animal (me).”
- “The cat must be stupid anyway for running into me.”
- “Cats are my least favourite animal anyway.”
- “The cat might have caused me further trouble if I hadn’t scared it off”
- “The cat walked into my foot; I didn’t kick it!”
Although Simon might have originally disagreed with these statements, his mind justifies his actions to reduce dissonance. Take a look at this clever comic strip which shows an example of Cognitive Dissonance (in a more humorous light!):
As you can see, Cognitive Dissonance is extremely powerful. Nobody wants to feel conflict with themselves, so they’ll justify everything to reduce the dissonance.
Here are some more everyday examples to help:
- Kate slaved her entire two years at college to get good grades, and to her delight, she got five A’s! She applied for the top five Universities in the country, and eventually decided to go to Oxford. When she got there, she found the University was actually pretty average*, and wasn’t exactly as great as she expected. To solve the dissonance between the huge effort to go there, and the reality that the University is pretty average, she convinces herself that Oxford is the most fantastic place ever.
- Fred works in an office. After work, he decides to steal a few office supplies. Even though he knows it’s wrong, and he could get in trouble, he decides he deserves them for the ‘hard work’ he’s been putting in recently. The company doesn’t pay him enough anyway, it’s just a little extra on the side… right?
- Mamma Smith is having a nice mooch in Sainsbury’s, when she sees a bunch of grapes. She samples one. Even though this is actually stealing, and she knows it’s wrong, she was just making sure they were tasty – wouldn’t it be a waste of money if they were sour or nasty!
- At work, James isn’t monitored very often. Every time he takes his one hour break, he actually goes for an hour and a half. Rather than believe he’s stealing (getting paid for time he isn’t working), he justifies it by saying he’s overworked and deserves the extra time off.
- Sarah just bought a new car. Admittedly, she spent much more money than she should have and feels regretful and actually a little embarrassed as well (buyer’s remorse). Rather than continue feeling these undesirable emotions, she decides that the car is less likely to break down than her older one, and will actually save her loads of cash in the long run. Besides, the car is much more attractive so people will like her more – maybe she’ll even make them jealous!
- Gilbert is a healthy body builder. In one day, he ends up eating a fast food meal for lunch, then a take away on the night. He knows he’s healthy, but the unhealthy behaviour causes dissonance. He decides that he’ll just burn off the extra calories anyway, as he exercises for an hour every day. Anyway, he had a small breakfast so needs to ‘make up for it’.
- Laura really values a man with a good sense of humour. When she first met her boyfriend Adam, he seemed funny – but actually he’s really boring. Rather than feel dissonance, she decides to leave him for a funnier man.
*I’d like to reiterate that I think Oxford is great, and I wish I had the brains to go there myself! It was just the best example because people who go to Oxford will have very high expectations; the Cognitive Dissonance in this situation will be very strong.
There are three ways to reduce dissonance, as defined by Festinger (1956):
- Altering the importance/value of of the conflicting belief.
- Emphasise a new belief that supports your behaviour.
- Changing your behaviour all together.
Let’s use the final bullet point to explain all three (Laura and her ‘boring’ boyfriend):
Belief: I do not value boring men; I only like men with a good sense of humour.
Behaviour: Dating a boring man with no sense of humour.
So what can she do? She can use any of the three ways of reducing dissonance as mentioned above. Here are the outcomes, in the order they are above:
- Alter the importance/value of the belief: “It doesn’t matter if he’s boring, to be honest.”; “He might be boring but good looks are more important”.
- Emphasise a new belief that supports her new behaviour: “If he spends time with me, he might gain a sense of humour”, “My friends will love him because he’s good looking – they’ll never notice that he’s a little boring”.
- Change the behaviour all together: “I’m no longer going to date him”; “I will date a funnier man”.
Let’s use another example – bullet point 2 (Fred who steals office supplies):
Belief: Stealing is illegal and immoral, and I’m an honest person.
Behaviour: Stealing office supplies.
- Alter the importance/value of the belief: “Stealing isn’t really that bad”.
- Emphasise a new belief that supports her new behaviour: “Everyone else does it, I’m not the only one”; “I deserve a little more for my hard work”; “These particular supplies are never used anyway, so they’ll go to waste if I leave them here!”
- Change the behaviour all together: “I will not steal these supplies.”
See if you can come up with ways to reduce dissonance for the other examples!
So there you have it: the fundamentals of Cognitive Dissonance. Hopefully I made it easy to understand, with help from examples! If you’re up for reading other articles, then I’d advise these websites:
And another Psychology blog explains a classic study by Festinger (who first described Cognitive Dissonance), which I will no doubt blog about sooner or later:
Again, I hope this has come in use, and I’ll see you soon
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
© 2008-2018 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved.
Archive: Andels Journeys
- 2018 (16)
- November (1)
- October (1)
- September (2)
- August (1)
- July (1)
- June (1)
- May (3)
- April (1)
- March (1)
- February (1)
- January (3)
- 2017 (41)
- December (1)
- November (5)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (8)
- • The Trap of Righteousness
- • The Commercialization of Spirituality - A Multi-Billion Dollar Corporate Takeover!
- • Loneliness
- • The Masks Are Coming Off - Unveiling False Teachers
- • The Dynamics Of Fear In Fear Inducing Times
- • 10 “Spiritual” Things People Do That Are Total Bullshit
- • Karma Teaches Jerks A Valuable Lesson In Life
- • Is The New Spirituality Just A Trend?
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (2)
- February (3)
- January (3)
- 2016 (29)
- December (5)
- November (3)
- October (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (1)
- April (3)
- March (3)
- February (3)
- January (6)
- • My Pleasure
- • Vancouver Man With Stomach Cancer Is Selling Unconditional Love On Craigslist For $0
- • Carefree People Don’t Have Attachments - Here Are 25 Reasons Why
- • Are Family Members Toxic? 10 Things to Remember
- • The World As We Know It Has Changed And There Is No Going Back To What We Were - 6 Predictions
- • How To Get More Energy: 8 New Secrets Backed By Research
- 2015 (50)
- December (4)
- November (6)
- • Neutrality — The Gateway To Transcend The Matrix
- • Soul and Personality
- • Dalai Lama on Paris & Syria – A Message for Peace
- • Know Yourself. Heal. Self-Liberate. Experiment. Build Community.
- • Groundbreaking Discovery: Man Solves Tesla’s Secret To Amplifying Power By Nearly 5000%
- • Johnny Depp Intends To Buy Site Of Wounded Knee Massacre And Gift It Back To The Native American People
- October (10)
- • Waking Up The Goddess: Where Men Meet Women
- • Why we cry
- • You’re Not Wrong
- • Canada’s New PM Issues Challenge to US – “We’re Ending Wars and Legalizing Pot”
- • Meet the USA's First School District to Serve 100% Organic Meals
- • Going Through Shadows: The Vortex Of Transformation.
- • The Rise of Lowsumerism
- • There is something extraordinary happening in the world
- • Three Ways Canadian Thanksgiving Differs From American Thanksgiving
- • Leonardo DiCaprio - Bring Down Big Oil Corporations
- September (3)
- August (2)
- July (2)
- June (6)
- May (5)
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (5)
- January (4)
- 2014 (56)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (4)
- September (5)
- • Water on Earth predates Sun, meaning our life originated elsewhere – study
- • Buffalo Treaty: Native tribes sign bison revival plan in US and Canada
- • US to pay largest Native American nation $554 million in landmark settlement
- • Being Vegan and Raw Vegan Lifestyle
- • New Experiment Will Answer Some Mind-Bending Questions On Whether We Live In a Hologram
- August (3)
- July (3)
- June (4)
- May (2)
- April (3)
- March (7)
- • Spring Into the Adventure! How the Symbolism of Frogs Can Support Us Through Change
- • The Gateways Are As Open As You Are
- • Shifting Seasons And Time…..
- • Marching Forward
- • Stanford Physicist: Vast, Powerful Realm Between Particles Influenced by Human Consciousness
- • We Are Living In The Most Important Time In The History Of The Universe - Dolores Cannon Discusses Our Current Paradigm
- • Creating A Path Where There Is None
- February (9)
- • February Update
- • Finding Direction When You Feel Lost
- • How Our Narratives Inform Our Hopes for Change
- • Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency Mitigation
- • The Alchemy of Responsible Reflection
- • How You Attract Information In A Vibrational Universe
- • 'You shall not pass!' Native American groups vow to block Keystone XL pipeline
- • Architecture of the Light
- • Meeting Our Past Selves Outside Of Time
- January (10)
- • Journey to the Enchanted Forest – Your New Moon & New Year Power Animal Awaits
- • Year of the Horse is Upon Us – Ready, Set, Go!
- • The 118 Days of Creation
- • How Much Are You Filtering Your Truth? – Image Alterations Aren't Just For Big Media Anymore
- • Eight Signs You May Be Experiencing a Spiritual Awakening
- • 13 Signs You’re a Witch
- • How To Tell If You Had A Past Life In Atlantis
- • How Do I Know If It’s My Soul or My Ego Talking?
- • The Baby and the Bath Water
- • The Foundation for All Healing
- 2013 (104)
- December (12)
- • Activate Your Creative Power With Conscious Intention
- • Riding the Train of Life – Symbolism to Navigate the Tracks of Your Journey
- • Are We the Makers of Our Own Fate?
- • Lighting Your Truth to Freedom, Passion & Inspired Leadership – Closing Chapter 2013 to Write Chapter 2014′s Lively & Instinctual Year of the Horse
- • The Power of a Poor Night’s Sleep
- • Why Entrepreneurship Is A Spiritual Expression Of Freedom
- • Death and Dying from a Shamanic Perspective
- • Sliding Home For Christmas
- • The Solstice Vibe
- • You’re Only As Strong As Your Weakest Link But As Wise As Your Strongest
- • The Speed of Infinity
- • World Aids Day – December 1st
- November (29)
- • The Courage To Live Box Less -- Getting Outside The Label Labyrinth
- • The Quantum Leap Ascension Process
- • Toronto Named Most Youth Friendly City
- • Thanksgiving Day Recalibration
- • Stop Looking And See
- • Getting the Doomsday Hunger?
- • What I Hope to Be Next Year
- • At The Point of No Return
- • The Faery Referral Network
- • Thoughts on Compassion and Detachment
- • Top Ten Myths About Being a Psychic/Healer
- • Tell the “Lords” of Karma That You Are Sovereign – No Longer a Lightworker Part 2
- • Where New JFK Evidence Points - 50 Years Later + Videos
- • 3 Reasons Why It’s Better to NOT Manifest a Soul Mate Relationship
- • 10 Tycoons Who Meditate Daily To Keep Up With Their Hectic Business Life
- • Why We Should Rethink What We've Been Told About Consciousness
- • The Value of “Sloth” – Expanding Our Perceptions for Greater Wisdom
- • Why Your Voice Matters and How To Get Heard
- • Breaking the Barriers of Belief
- • Stop Being "Positive" & Start Getting Real (Joy) In Your Life
- • Are We Living in the Matrix?
- • Is the Sharing Economy Here Yet?
- • Find Your Power in Self-Sufficiency
- • Heads Up
- • Plants Exhibit The Same Senses As Humans And See, Touch, Smell, Hear and Even Taste
- • Healing The Wound(s) Within The Heart Chakra
- • True or False? I Am Perfect Just As I Am
- • Indigenous Elders and Medicine Peoples Council Statement on Fukushima
- • A Phoenix Rising - A Recommended Read
- October (18)
- • 20 Good Reasons to Have Clear Personal Boundaries
- • Let Go of Who You Are to Become What You Might Be
- • How to Be Happy: The 10-Day Happiness Challenge
- • The Law of Assumption
- • A Message from the Faeries
- • New Device Stores Electricity On Silicon Chips
- • The NAME
- • 6 Big Excuses That Can Derail Your Life
- • A Clean Break
- • An Original Blueprint
- • Your Angry Voice Demolishes Your Brilliant Argument
- • Where the Action Is NOW– Relationships
- • Homo Luminous: The New Human
- • The Two New Humanities
- • How Do I Discern the Real from False?
- • Walking on Sacred Ground
- • Not All Have Halos
- • AGAIN, Remember Who You Are
- September (14)
- • Be Careful of How You Use Words!
- • Frequency Gates – What The Heck Are They?
- • Following Our Joy to Find Freedom
- • You`ve Been Warned: Why You Need To Be Ready for Total Grid Failure
- • Spirituality and Ethics in Business
- • Life – The Projection From Within
- • 10 Ways to Shift Your Consciousness
- • The Fall Inside
- • Fall Equinox-The Gate Closes
- • Self Honesty May Deepen the Bliss Into Actualization and Full Embodiment
- • Changing Dynamics of Relationships
- • Biophotons
- • Autumn Equinox 2013 Cosmic Weather Forecast
- • Autumn Equinox: The Archangel Michael Meditation
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (3)
- May (12)
- • How Gratitude Can Help You Through Hard Times
- • The World of Opposites: A New Take
- • The God Gene
- • Souls of Animals
- • What If Television News Disappeared?
- • Every Warrior’s Achilles Heel
- • Building Your Spiritual Muscles
- • Transmuting Collective Human Consciousness By Channeling Light
- • Is DMT the Gateway to Hell?
- • The Psychological Crossroad of An Unhappy Life
- • Science Finds Fountain of Youth Brain Region That Slows Down Aging
- • Remember The Power Of The Voice
- April (6)
- March (1)
- February (1)
- December (12)
- 2012 (4)