Category: Health Yourself Hits: 1471
Perhaps you haven’t heard of salt therapy, but inhaling salt goes back to ancient times. In fact, the benefits of salt therapy were even noted in a book published in 1843 by Dr. Felix Boczkowski. Dr. Boczkowski, a physician at the Wieliczka salt mine in Poland, observed a curiously low incidence of respiratory conditions in salt miners. Today, dry salt therapy rooms are popping up all over the world. They are thought to alleviate symptoms of allergies, asthma, COPD, snoring, sleep apnea and more.
The history behind inhaling salt
Most of us have gargled with salt water or even used a neti pot from time to time. But, for some, the idea of inhaling salt sounds a little farfetched — maybe even a little bohemian. But the truth is, inhaling salt has a rich history that dates back to ancient Greece. Fast forward 1839. After observing the health benefits of salt-saturated air on miners with respiratory and pulmonary discomforts, Dr. Felix Boczkowski opened the first bath-house facilities in Wieliczka, Poland. His health clinic offered salt baths, salt-mud baths, sulphuric water baths and steam inhalations.
Later, his successor, Dr. Karl Hermann Spannagel also noted the health benefits of inhaling salt for those who had hid in a German salt cave during WWII to escape heavy bombing. Dr. Spannagel found that his patients’ coughing had subsided. Those with respiratory discomfort also breathed more easily.
Benefits of dry salt therapy on the respiratory system
Inhaling pink salt may help you breathe better.
Pink salt, or better-known as Himalayan crystal salt, is far superior to traditional iodized salt. Himalayan salt is millions of years old and pure. That means it’s untouched by toxins and pollutants that saturate other forms of ocean salt. However, before we discuss the benefits of inhaling pink salt, it’s important to mention that the act of inhaling refers to inhaling the dry salty air emitted from the salt. In no way are you “snorting” salt (like a drug) through the nostrils.
Dry salt therapy or inhaling pink salt is touted as a safe therapy that benefits respiratory ailments such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), suggests the Lung Institute (LLC). In fact, “Exhale,” the official blog of the Lung Institute reports that fans of salt therapy claim that the salt cleanses the respiratory system and speeds up the elimination of toxins. Salt particles penetrate deep into the lungs and treat damaged tissue, which may allow symptoms of respiratory conditions like emphysema and chronic bronchitis to subside for up to 12 months following salt therapy, says the LLC. Here is why:
- Salt has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It loosens excessive mucus and speeds up mucociliary transport.
- It also removes pathogens like airborne pollen and reduces lgE level (immune system oversensitivity).
A 2007 study looked at the effect of a dry salt inhaler in adults with COPD. Thirty-five COPD patients using a dry salt inhaler found significant improvement during a six-minute walk test and demonstrated an improvement in the quality of life. The study concluded that, while there doesn’t seem to be any adverse effects to using a salt inhaler, further studies are needed to exclude a placebo effect.
Other important benefits
According to alternative health expert Dr. Edward Group, additional benefits for inhaling pink salt may include:
- Lowering your blood pressure
- Deepening your capacity to breathe
- Promoting mental calmness
- Promoting a sounder sleep
- Reducing or eliminating night coughs
- Reducing snoring and other breath-related sleeping conditions
Note: While breathing pink salt is a natural alternative therapy that offers relief for respiratory symptoms, it is not a medical treatment.
Creating “salt mines” for the masses
Salt rooms may help with allergies, asthma and more.
In 1987, Russia constructed the first salt rooms using mined salt rock from deep underground. These Russian salt rooms recreated the microclimate of a salt cave in an aboveground clinic. Today salt rooms are popping up all over the country with promises of alleviating conditions such as:
- Allergies and asthma
- COPD and lung disorders including bronchitis and emphysema
- Snoring and sleep apnea
- Colds, flu, sinus infection and sinusitis
- Eczema and psoriasis
- Ear Infections
Salt rooms work with each breath as particles penetrate deep into the lungs. There’s nothing to ingest and no invasive procedures. You simply relax on a chair and the micro-particles are inhaled during sessions that can last anywhere from 20 and 45 minutes. Dry salt is very absorbent and attracts pollutants and allergens throughout the respiratory tract. It’s thought to stimulate the body’s internal processes for cleansing the respiratory system. By simply breathing in and out the foreign particles are removed, strengthening respiratory function.
Potential side effects
Although the practice of breathing pink salt is generally considered safe, one question still remains. Is there any harmful side effects from breathing in dry, salty air — even under spa or clinical settings? Too much sodium in your diet can cause your body to retain fluid, which increases blood pressure, suggests the Mayo Clinic.
But is breathing salt the same as consuming it? Proponents of this alternative salt therapy say no. Yet, a 2005 study published in the journal Environmental Health found that salt factory workers, who inhale large amounts of salt particles, are at a higher risk of developing hypertension. In fact, researchers suggest that breathing in large quantities of salt particles has the same effect on blood pressure as eating salty foods.
Researchers measured the blood pressure of workers in two salt milling factories in India. Workers were divided into two groups. One group worked close to the salt milling plant and was directly involved in crushing, grinding, milling and packing salt. The other group worked away from the plant and had less exposure to salt particles. According to the study, the first group of workers had significantly higher blood pressure than the second group who worked far away from the factory.
Workers from the first group also had an incidence of hypertension of 12.2 percent. The second group had an incidence of seven percent. Researchers found that wearing face masks and plastic goggles for four days caused the mean systolic blood pressure of workers from the first group to drop significantly — 127.8 mm Hg on the first day to 117.5 mm Hg on the fourth day.
Researchers are divided
And when it comes to using salt therapy for allergy and asthma relief, well, it seems that not all researchers are on the same page. A 2012 study conducted by the Division of Allergy-Immunology at Northwestern University in Chicago suggests that along with acupuncture, homeopathy and urine injections, salt therapy is controversial and unproven for treating allergic-immunologic conditions.
The bottom line: There is no cure for COPD, only medicines and therapies that alleviate symptoms. So, while there’s no real harm in trying a salt therapy spa or a pipe for inhaling pink salt, it’s hard to know whether the benefits are real or merely a placebo effect. More studies are needed to prove it’s therapeutical value. That said, trying could mean be believing, and believing could mean relief for some COPD sufferers. Before starting salt therapy, talk to your healthcare practitioner first — particularly if you suffer from high blood pressure.
— Katherine Marko
Archive: MORE Health Yourself Articles!
- 2017 (36)
- April (2)
- March (12)
- • Scientists Can Now Reverse DNA Aging in Mice!
- • 6 Signs That Energy is Being Released from the Body
- • Can Trauma be Passed on through our DNA?
- • The Healing Power of Serotonin
- • Scientists Find Blood From Vegans Is 8 Times More Protective Against Cancer
- • Inflammation Will Make You Age Faster. Here's Exactly What To Do About It
- • How to Spring Clean the Energy of Your Home
- • This Plant Makes Cancer Cells Disintegrate Within 48 Hours
- • Diet Responsible For 45 Percent of All Deaths From Heart Disease and Diabetes
- • 10 Relaxing Exercises for Your Eyes That Will Improve Your Eyesight
- • THIS Is What Happens To Your Body When You Chant “OM”…
- • How to Never Get Sick Again
- February (8)
- • Does Inhaling Pink Salt Really Clear Your Lungs?
- • This Body Part Predicts If You Will Die Of A Heart Attack
- • 5 Moves You Can Do At Home To Strengthen Your Core
- • One Tablespoon Of This Can Clean Out Your Bowels In Just 2 minutes!
- • Is African Marula Oil The Secret To Anti-Aging?
- • How A Greater Purpose In Life Protects Your Memory and Other Thinking Skills
- • Kegel Exercises For Bladder Control
- • Does Having Meaning In Your Life Keep You Healthy?
- January (14)
- • Lunar Beauty Rituals: Caring For Your Body Using the Cycles of the Moon
- • This Evening Trick Will Whiten Your Teeth By Morning
- • Clean Your Body From Parasites And Return To Your Normal Weight With These 2 Ingredients That You Always Have In Your House!
- • Lose Weight Just By Pressing This Point Near Your Ear
- • The Healing Power of the Akashic Records
- • Turmeric: 4 Benefits in Treating Depression
- • 7 Reasons To Do A Kidney Cleanse And What To Juice And Eat For A Good Flush
- • 4 TBSP. A DAY AND CANCER IS GONE: Russian Scientist Reveals The Most Powerful Homemade Remedy
- • Why People Who Take Naps Are More Productive: The Costanza Effect
- • Yes, You Can Manipulate Your Metabolism To Lose Weight. Here's How
- • This One Mineral Reduces Oxidative Stress, Repairs DNA, And Leads To Mechanisms Which Extend Life
- • Every Day Checklist for a Healthier Bod
- • Why You Can No Longer Ignore The Most Potent Way To Transform Your Health
- • Beginning Workplace Wellness in the New Year
- 2016 (51)
- December (4)
- November (5)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (1)
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (7)
- • The Disturbing Facts Regarding The Refined Sugar Diet
- • Sungazing : NASA Confirms Super Human Abilities Received..
- • The Energetic Side Effects of Daylight Savings Time
- • Hand Reflexology : Press The Points For Wherever You Have Pain
- • Stop Using These 5 White Poisons
- • 82 Percent of Patients Managed to Avoid Root Canals Using These Ancient Medicinal Herbs
- • This New Toothpaste Now Puts Dentists Out Of Work
- February (15)
- • 5 Reasons Grounding Will Improve Your Health And Change Your Life
- • Theta Healing Technique – How Does It Work?
- • Apple Cider Vinegar: A Weight Loss Weapon
- • When Your Body Is Too Acidic, Learn To Quickly Alkalize It!
- • Grow Back Your Receding Gums In No Time With The Help Of These Natural Remedies
- • This Is Why You Should Be Sleeping On Your Left Side
- • Revisiting Masaru Emoto — The Nikki Owen ‘Apple Experiments’
- • The Many Ways Chronic Stress Makes You Sick
- • Sacred Sex: Is The Sex You Have As Safe As You Think It Is?
- • How To REVERSE AGING!
- • Conditioning Your Mind To Heal Your Body
- • Oil Pulling: Not Just for Oral Health?
- • 10 Benefits of Organic Coconut Oil
- • The Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- • How To Make Alkaline Water In Order To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
- January (9)
- • Train Your Brain to Fall Asleep in Just 60 Seconds With This Simple Method
- • Baking Soda: Home Remedies and Old Wives Cures
- • 3 Energy Medicine Techniques That Changed My Life
- • Learn To Detox From Sugar In Just 10 Days
- • Amazing Home Remedy: Stops Cancer and Heals the Whole Body
- • Study Finds Muscle and Strength Can Be Maintained Using Just Your Mind
- • Ancient Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique Provides Instant Drug-Free Anxiety Relief
- • This Slimming Detox Drink Relieves Bloating, Jump-Starts Weight Loss And Burns Fat Like Crazy!
- • How To Stop A Migraine Instantly
- 2015 (33)
- December (5)
- November (4)
- • The Impact Of Coffee On Your Adrenal Glands
- • Every Body Part Is In The Palm Of Your Hand – Press The Points For Wherever You Have Pain
- • The Real Truth About Cavities - Use this Magical Tooth Powder to Reverse Cavities Naturally
- • Put This Mixture Under The Tongue Before Sleep And Never Wake Up Tired
- October (4)
- September (1)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (2)
- May (4)
- March (2)
- February (4)
- January (3)
- 2014 (39)
- December (3)
- November (4)
- October (1)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (3)
- March (5)
- February (13)
- • When All Else Fails To Heal You
- • Could Tree Bark Keep You Alive?
- • More Americans Are Saying “No” to Water Fluoridation While Toxic Fluorinated Pesticides Are Still Allowed
- • Could Your Health Issues Be Due To an Imbalance of Your Body’s QI Ambassador?
- • Top Vegetarian Foods for Naturally Beautiful, Healthy Skin
- • 10 Anti Aging Ingredients in Skincare Products
- • 2 Real Life Examples of Mistletoe Wiping out Cancer
- • 6 Toxic Products to Eliminate in Your Home
- • 7 Ways That Love Is Good For Your Health
- • Orgone and Indoor Plants
- • 5 Things Healthy People Do Every Day Before Work
- • Fun Facts About Hugging
- • How To Solve 9 Sleep Problems
- January (5)
- 2013 (32)
- November (3)
- October (5)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (8)
- • Fifty Shades of Pink
- • Benefits of Relaxation
- • 4 Ways to Support the Largest Organ of Detoxification: The Skin
- • Science: Sunlight Could Reduce Death Rate From All Causes
- • Can Compassion Beat Botox in the Anti Ageing Stakes?
- • Did You Know: Natural Cancer Treatments are Hidden from You – But Why?
- • Three Super-easy, Super-convenient Ways To Prevent Cavities Naturally
- • Four Ways To Rid Your Body of Fluoride's Negative Effects
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (2)
- January (2)
- 2012 (7)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (1)
- 2009 (1)
- January (1)