Category: Astrology Basics Hits: 3278
The 13th Sign of the Zodiac
by Betty Rhodes
The constellation, Ophiuchus (Oh-Fee-You-Kuss), has been known since ancient times, and is better known as Serpentarius, the Serpent Holder. It is included in the list of 48 constellations described by Ptolemy. Ophiuchus is depicted as a man handling a serpent; his body dividing the large snake into two parts, giving way to the symbol used today as an Asclepius - the medical staff. Astrologers have not included Ophiuchus in the wheel of Astrological signs because the Sun spends only about nineteen days in this 13th sign of the Mazzaroth.
Not that there wasn't a 13th sign in the Heavens, but as far as Astrologers were concerned, the Sun traveled from the constellation 'Scorpius' and then proceeded directly into the sign of Sagittarius. In reality, this was not the case. The Sun, for 19 days of the year, travels through the star constellation 'Ophiuchus' before entering Sagittarius from Scorpius - thus The sign of Ophiuchus is patterned after the original 'Serpent Holder', Enki, a Sumerian god.
The signs of the Zodiac are for the most part, the highway, or path on which the Sun takes its yearly journey across the heavens - as it would appear to Earthlings. These signs are actually star constellations occupying space in which the Sun appears to travels in an earth year. The original twelve signs/constellations: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces are quite familiar to everyone, however, the thirteenth sign and constellation, [Ophiuchus], is in fact, not well known. To acknowledge a 13th sign now would seem awkward for astrologers, who like the tidiness of 12 signs that rule over the 12 houses of the Zodiac. The heavens are alive and they do change after a few thousand years and the astrologer who wants to maintain accuracy must change along with the signs in the heavens.
The constellation of Ophiuchus is the only sign of the Zodiac which is linked to a real man. This man lived in ancient Egypt around the 27th century BCE, and his name was Imhotep [again patterned after Enki]. Many of the same attributes of Imhotep can also be found in the Biblical Hebrew man Joseph, son of Jacob - [see comparison chart for these two men in separate article]. Imhotep is credited with many accomplishments including the knowledge and use of medicine. It is said of Imhotep that he brought the art of healing to mankind. The symbol of a serpent [or snake], which is still widely used today to represent the medical profession, was used to represent Imhotep. Imhotep was also known as 'Aesclepius' to the ancient Greeks, but by any name the attributes are still all the same. The attributes listed below describe the Serpent Holder, Imhotep, i.e. the Hebrew Joseph, and Aesclepius.
The keyword descriptions seen below, originated with Betty Rhodes, and are the attributes for the 13th sign of the Zodiac - Ophiuchus:
List of Key Words Describing the Sign Of Ophiuchus
- interpreter of dreams, vivid premonitions,
- attracts good luck and fruitful blessings,
- serpent holder, lofty ideals,
- a seeker of peace and harmony,
- doctor of medicine or science, natural-pathic,
- adds, increases, joins, or gathers together
- poetical, inventive nature, expanding qualities,
- seeks higher education and wisdom,
- overseer, supervisor of work,
- fame - either grand, or completely misunderstood,
- longevity, aspirations of healing the ills of man,
- architect, builder, reaches for the stars, figuratively and literally,
- tax assessor, or levys taxes,
- astrological talents, intuitive,
- large family indicated, but apt to be separated from them when young,
- the number twelve holds great significance,
- foresight and good fortune to benefit from hard times,
- has secret enemies in family or close associations,
- many jealous of this subject,
- notable father, apple of father's eye when young,
- high position in life expected [depending on aspects] highest fame and legend comes after death
- feelings of granular, wise, genius mentality,
- likes to wear clothing of vibrant colors, and plaids in particular,
- receives the favor of those in authority.
13 Sign Zodiac
- Aries = April 19 - May 13
- Taurus = May 14 - June 19
- Gemini = June 20 - July 20
- Cancer = July 21 - Aug 9
- Leo = August 10 - September 15
- Virgo = September 16 - October 30
- Libra = October 31 - November 22
- Scorpio = November 23 - November 29
- Ophiuchus = November 30 - December 17
- Sagittarius = December 18 - January 18
- Capricorn = January 19 - February 15
- Aquarius = February 16 - March 11
- Pisces = March 12 - April 18
Of the sign Ophiuchus:
"Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou. And he made him to ride in the second chariot which he had; and they cried before him, Bow the knee: and he made him ruler over all the land of Egypt. And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, I am Pharaoh, and without thee shall no man lift up his hand or foot in all the land of Egypt." GEN 41:40-44
please consider a donation to help keep this website open. Thank you!
For a one time donation of any amount click the donate button!