Category: Health Yourself Hits: 1445
How do you know if you’ll die from heart disease? It turns out the size of your arm can tell you a lot more about your health than you may realize. Here’s how arm size can determine whether you’ll die from a heart attack.
What does arm size have to do with your heart? Well, it seems that the size of your arm may reveal whether you will survive a heart attack. A recent study published in the American Journal of Cardiology found that the bigger your arm muscle is, the less likely you are to die from heart disease. Researchers studied 600 older adults with cardiovascular disease. They measured the circumferences of the participants’ mid-upper arms and calves since these areas determine muscle mass. Researchers also studied the participants’ muscle function through gait speed and grip strength.
During a follow-up period that averaged about one and a half years, researchers found that 72 of the adults — aged at least 65 years — died. However, the participants’ whose arms had a higher circumference showed more positive outcomes. Data suggests that both measurements are associated with the chances of dying of heart disease.
But the researchers found that only arm circumference showed “significant independent prognostic capabilities.” Researchers concluded that people with larger arm muscles, compared to calf muscles, were more likely to survive a heart attack. Furthermore, researchers also concluded that a simple measurement of the arm could determine risk factor of heart disease in older patients.
Muscle deterioration to blame
Those with sarcopenia may be more at risk for a heart attack.
Here’s the thing, for many people, particularly seniors, staying physically active can decline with age. In fact, when older people lose muscle mass and strength as they age, it’s referred to as sarcopenia. According to research from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, sarcopenia can result from a number of factors including:
- Hormonal changes
- Less physical activity
- Chronic illness
- Neurological decline
- Poor nutrition
Sarcopenia leads to frailty, increased insulin resistance, fatigue and falls. It can also lead to chronic diseases like diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, and even death.
Therefore, arm muscle is a marker for a healthy and fit body, which accounts for why those who have larger, more muscular arms are less likely to die from a heart attack. So, it’s no wonder then that exercise along with improved nutrition could help tackle muscle deterioration.
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 17.5 million people die each year from cardiovascular disease, which accounts for 31 percent of all deaths worldwide. And 80 percent of all cardiovascular disease deaths are due to heart attacks and strokes. Engaging in physical activity for at least 30 minutes each day will help to prevent heart attacks and strokes, suggests WHO.
The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends strength training at least two times per week. Strengthening your muscles allows you to more perform everyday activities more easily and helps protect your body from injury. Stronger muscles also lead to a boost in metabolic rate. That means you’ll burn more calories even when your body is at rest.
Regular physical activity can even help those who have had a heart attack. Although some people are afraid to exercise after such a devastating event, regular physical activity can actually help reduce your chances of having another heart attack, says the AHA. In fact, in 2014, the AHA published a statement suggesting that doctors should prescribe exercise to stroke patients. According to the AHA, there is strong evidence that exercising after a stroke can improve cardiovascular fitness, walking ability and upper arm strength.
Signs you’re having a heart attack
The more signs and symptoms you have, the more likely you’re experiencing a heart attack.
Not everyone experiencing a heart attack has the same symptoms or even severity of symptoms, says the Mayo Clinic. Some people may experience mild pain, while others have more severe pain. Additionally, some people have no symptoms and the first sign may be sudden cardiac arrest. However, the more signs and symptoms you’re experiencing, the greater likelihood you’re having a heart attack. Some common heart attack signs and symptoms include:
- Feeling pressure, tightness, pain, aching sensation or a squeezing in the chest or arms that can spread to the neck, jaw or back.
- A feeling of nausea, indigestion, heartburn or abdominal pain
- Experiencing shortness of breath
- Experiencing cold sweats
- Feeling fatigued
- Feeling lightheaded or sudden dizziness
Note: while some heart attacks strike suddenly, many people have warning signs and symptoms that occur hours, days or even weeks in advance, says the Mayo Clinic.
Don’t wait too long
If you think you’re having a heart attack, don’t hesitate, act immediately — call 911 or your local emergency number. Some people wait too long because they don’t recognize signs and symptoms. If you don’t have access to emergency medical services, then have someone drive you to the nearest hospital.
If nitroglycerin has been prescribed to you by a doctor, take it as instructed while awaiting emergency help, says the Mayo Clinic. Or, if recommended by your doctor, take aspirin while waiting for help to arrive. Taking aspirin during a heart attack could help reduce heart damage by keeping your blood from clotting.
However, don’t take aspirin unless your doctor or emergency medical personnel recommend it. In fact, don’t do anything before calling 911. The emergency operator may recommend that you take an aspirin. But first, he or she will make sure that you don’t have an allergy to aspirin or a condition that makes using it too risky.
The American Heart Association (AHA) advises against taking aspirin during a stroke. Since not all strokes are caused by blood clots, aspirin may not help. While most strokes are caused by clots, some are caused by ruptured blood vessels, says the AHA. Taking aspirin could therefore make bleeding strokes more severe. The best way to know if aspirin therapy is right for you is to ask your healthcare provider. Never start aspirin therapy on your own.
Take steps now to improve your health
Improving your health with exercise can help prevent a heart attack.
The bottom line is, there are many factors that come into play in whether you’ll have a heart attack, including your genes, what you eat and how much you exercise. Arm size is a relatively new science that acts as a marker of good health. But nothing is written in stone. If you take steps now, you can greatly improve your chances of not having a heart attack. Through healthy eating and exercising you can increase your muscle strength and arm size. And that could mean preventing your ticker from turning into a time bomb.
— Katherine Marko
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
Archive: MORE Health Yourself Articles!
- 2017 (52)
- June (6)
- May (10)
- • Heal Yourself By Talking To Your Body
- • High & Low Blood Pressure | Atherosclerosis – Spiritual Meaning And Causes
- • My Eyes Changed Colour After Eating Raw Vegan For 6 Years
- • Distance Energy Healing - How Does it Work, How Long Does it Take & More
- • Eye Disorders - Glaucoma | Myopia | Strabismus – Spiritual Meaning And Causes + Prevention
- • Drink Glass Of Water At 6:00 AM! People All Over The World Are Doing This Now!
- • The Health Benefits Of Rubbing A Certain Finger For 60 Seconds - Japanese Healing Method
- • Pineapple Water Will Detoxify Your Body, Help You Lose Weight, And Reduce Joint Swelling And Pain
- • Grapefruit and Rosemary Water - For Weight Loss And Detox!
- • New Study Proves Meditation Can Keep Brains Young
- April (2)
- March (12)
- • Scientists Can Now Reverse DNA Aging in Mice!
- • 6 Signs That Energy is Being Released from the Body
- • Can Trauma be Passed on through our DNA?
- • The Healing Power of Serotonin
- • Scientists Find Blood From Vegans Is 8 Times More Protective Against Cancer
- • Inflammation Will Make You Age Faster. Here's Exactly What To Do About It
- • How to Spring Clean the Energy of Your Home
- • This Plant Makes Cancer Cells Disintegrate Within 48 Hours
- • Diet Responsible For 45 Percent of All Deaths From Heart Disease and Diabetes
- • 10 Relaxing Exercises for Your Eyes That Will Improve Your Eyesight
- • THIS Is What Happens To Your Body When You Chant “OM”…
- • How to Never Get Sick Again
- February (8)
- • Does Inhaling Pink Salt Really Clear Your Lungs?
- • This Body Part Predicts If You Will Die Of A Heart Attack
- • 5 Moves You Can Do At Home To Strengthen Your Core
- • One Tablespoon Of This Can Clean Out Your Bowels In Just 2 minutes!
- • Is African Marula Oil The Secret To Anti-Aging?
- • How A Greater Purpose In Life Protects Your Memory and Other Thinking Skills
- • Kegel Exercises For Bladder Control
- • Does Having Meaning In Your Life Keep You Healthy?
- January (14)
- • Lunar Beauty Rituals: Caring For Your Body Using the Cycles of the Moon
- • This Evening Trick Will Whiten Your Teeth By Morning
- • Clean Your Body From Parasites And Return To Your Normal Weight With These 2 Ingredients That You Always Have In Your House!
- • Lose Weight Just By Pressing This Point Near Your Ear
- • The Healing Power of the Akashic Records
- • Turmeric: 4 Benefits in Treating Depression
- • 7 Reasons To Do A Kidney Cleanse And What To Juice And Eat For A Good Flush
- • 4 TBSP. A DAY AND CANCER IS GONE: Russian Scientist Reveals The Most Powerful Homemade Remedy
- • Why People Who Take Naps Are More Productive: The Costanza Effect
- • Yes, You Can Manipulate Your Metabolism To Lose Weight. Here's How
- • This One Mineral Reduces Oxidative Stress, Repairs DNA, And Leads To Mechanisms Which Extend Life
- • Every Day Checklist for a Healthier Bod
- • Why You Can No Longer Ignore The Most Potent Way To Transform Your Health
- • Beginning Workplace Wellness in the New Year
- 2016 (51)
- December (4)
- November (5)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (1)
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (7)
- • The Disturbing Facts Regarding The Refined Sugar Diet
- • Sungazing : NASA Confirms Super Human Abilities Received..
- • The Energetic Side Effects of Daylight Savings Time
- • Hand Reflexology : Press The Points For Wherever You Have Pain
- • Stop Using These 5 White Poisons
- • 82 Percent of Patients Managed to Avoid Root Canals Using These Ancient Medicinal Herbs
- • This New Toothpaste Now Puts Dentists Out Of Work
- February (15)
- • 5 Reasons Grounding Will Improve Your Health And Change Your Life
- • Theta Healing Technique – How Does It Work?
- • Apple Cider Vinegar: A Weight Loss Weapon
- • When Your Body Is Too Acidic, Learn To Quickly Alkalize It!
- • Grow Back Your Receding Gums In No Time With The Help Of These Natural Remedies
- • This Is Why You Should Be Sleeping On Your Left Side
- • Revisiting Masaru Emoto — The Nikki Owen ‘Apple Experiments’
- • The Many Ways Chronic Stress Makes You Sick
- • Sacred Sex: Is The Sex You Have As Safe As You Think It Is?
- • How To REVERSE AGING!
- • Conditioning Your Mind To Heal Your Body
- • Oil Pulling: Not Just for Oral Health?
- • 10 Benefits of Organic Coconut Oil
- • The Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- • How To Make Alkaline Water In Order To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
- January (9)
- • Train Your Brain to Fall Asleep in Just 60 Seconds With This Simple Method
- • Baking Soda: Home Remedies and Old Wives Cures
- • 3 Energy Medicine Techniques That Changed My Life
- • Learn To Detox From Sugar In Just 10 Days
- • Amazing Home Remedy: Stops Cancer and Heals the Whole Body
- • Study Finds Muscle and Strength Can Be Maintained Using Just Your Mind
- • Ancient Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique Provides Instant Drug-Free Anxiety Relief
- • This Slimming Detox Drink Relieves Bloating, Jump-Starts Weight Loss And Burns Fat Like Crazy!
- • How To Stop A Migraine Instantly
- 2015 (33)
- December (5)
- November (4)
- • The Impact Of Coffee On Your Adrenal Glands
- • Every Body Part Is In The Palm Of Your Hand – Press The Points For Wherever You Have Pain
- • The Real Truth About Cavities - Use this Magical Tooth Powder to Reverse Cavities Naturally
- • Put This Mixture Under The Tongue Before Sleep And Never Wake Up Tired
- October (4)
- September (1)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (2)
- May (4)
- March (2)
- February (4)
- January (3)
- 2014 (39)
- December (3)
- November (4)
- October (1)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (3)
- March (5)
- February (13)
- • When All Else Fails To Heal You
- • Could Tree Bark Keep You Alive?
- • More Americans Are Saying “No” to Water Fluoridation While Toxic Fluorinated Pesticides Are Still Allowed
- • Could Your Health Issues Be Due To an Imbalance of Your Body’s QI Ambassador?
- • Top Vegetarian Foods for Naturally Beautiful, Healthy Skin
- • 10 Anti Aging Ingredients in Skincare Products
- • 2 Real Life Examples of Mistletoe Wiping out Cancer
- • 6 Toxic Products to Eliminate in Your Home
- • 7 Ways That Love Is Good For Your Health
- • Orgone and Indoor Plants
- • 5 Things Healthy People Do Every Day Before Work
- • Fun Facts About Hugging
- • How To Solve 9 Sleep Problems
- January (5)
- 2013 (32)
- November (3)
- October (5)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (8)
- • Fifty Shades of Pink
- • Benefits of Relaxation
- • 4 Ways to Support the Largest Organ of Detoxification: The Skin
- • Science: Sunlight Could Reduce Death Rate From All Causes
- • Can Compassion Beat Botox in the Anti Ageing Stakes?
- • Did You Know: Natural Cancer Treatments are Hidden from You – But Why?
- • Three Super-easy, Super-convenient Ways To Prevent Cavities Naturally
- • Four Ways To Rid Your Body of Fluoride's Negative Effects
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (2)
- January (2)
- 2012 (7)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (1)
- 2009 (1)
- January (1)