Category: Journeys Hits: 986
Family relationships are crucial yet can be critical. It’s no secret that being part of a family is hard.
There are times when the people who are closest to you can be the most frustrating people you know. However, there’s a very fine line between healthy family relationships and those that can leave long-lasting emotional scars.
While it’s easy to believe that any family is dysfunctional, there are some truly dysfunctional behaviors that severely impact the mental well-being of everyone involved.
It’s not uncommon for a person’s family to bully them. Whether they engage in harmful behaviors with the best intentions in mind or for truly malevolent purposes, any family member who bullies another risks tearing apart those delicate relationships. (These ought to be vital to childhood development and that should last through life.)
Dealing with dysfunctional family members is often difficult to recognize. Some people may dismiss an overbearing mother or a codependent sibling as just a part of the family without realizing how damaging these behaviors are. While actions such as name-calling and gossip are easier to spot, that doesn’t mean they are any easier to diffuse. All too often, these behaviors are swept under the rug until they begin to tear away at relationships and create rifts.
Any kind of abuse, drug or alcohol addiction, or any other damaging behaviors to the family should be addressed as a whole. There are several resources available to help struggling families overcome these issues together. However, less subtle behaviors require a more trained eye to recognize and solve. The following lists behaviors that a heart-to-heart may address with or without the help of a family therapist.
10 Dysfunctional Things That Destroy Family Relationships
1. Not Accepting Each Other’s Differences
It is inevitable that not all family members will be the same. Whether someone comes out as gay, or they turn out to enjoy different activities than the rest of the family, accepting these differences creates strong familial bonds that last.
2. The Constant Need to be Right
Does someone always have to be right on issues or have the final say? This attitude can lead to a disconnect in the family, since no one else’s viewpoints, beliefs, values, or opinions will ever be valid.
3. Constantly Bringing Up the Past
We’ve all made mistakes in the past and would like them to stay there. But if our parents or siblings want to continually bring up those mistakes and criticize us for them each time the family comes together, the only result is a fraying of those relationships.
Everyone knows gossip is bad, but it’s a guilty pleasure that everyone loves. In families, it can be lethal. Because family relationships are so close-knit, gossiping mouths can bring a close relationship to a grinding halt. The best solution? Don’t engage in gossip and stop it in its tracks.
5. Expecting Perfection
Perfection is such an arbitrary concept, and in family units it can lead to high levels of stress. We want to make our family happy, but the standards may be too high to reach for or they may be unattainable.
6. Name Calling, Labeling, and Insults
This behavior should have been nixed in grade school, but it still finds its way into family arguments. If the family has a none-too-savory nickname for another family member, this can stretch their relationship with the family to breaking. Avoid name calling and insults.
7. Lack of Forgiveness over Small Issues
Holding grudges over small things is a waste of energy…and causes family strain. While some families forgive a member over major transgressions, forgiving someone for something small in comparison affects everyone. Simple slip-ups deserve forgiveness to heal the family bonds.
8. Assigning Blame
Throwing another family member under the bus is a sure way to destroy your relationship with them and the rest of the family. Instead of trying to save face, accept responsibility for your actions. However, if you’re assigning blame based on gossip, please find out the truth before you make any further decisions.
A family member may need help during a time of hardship, however there’s often a thin line between getting help from family and being codependent. Other family members may view this as advantage-taking, laziness, or even enabling.
10. Frequently Soliciting Unwanted Advice
In line with always having to be right (see #2), there is someone who may always offer their advice…even if it’s not wanted. It’s nice to have advice sometimes, but letting a family discover life on their own is a way to strengthen bonds and deepen relationships.
If your family deals with any of these issues, it may be difficult to deal with them and even harder to quash them before they do more damage. Gossips will find it difficult to give up their hobby, while some relatives may be so set in their ways that change will be hard to come by.
You can take the first step by reaching out to other relatives or seeking a counselor’s advice on how to approach certain issues. No family is perfect, but with time and determination you can improve your relationship with yours.
Archive: Andels Journeys
- 2017 (5)
- 2016 (30)
- December (6)
- • This Woman Died of Stage 4 Cancer and Came Back From the Dead With a Shocking Message
- • Article Four: The Cast of Characters. AKA: The Wrecking Crew.
- • Cognitive Dissonance made easy
- • The Principle of Mission
- • Article Three: Donald Trump’s Personality and Character Structure
- • Article Two: United States Elections 2016: Getting the Right Perspective
- November (3)
- October (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (1)
- April (3)
- March (3)
- February (3)
- January (6)
- • My Pleasure
- • Vancouver Man With Stomach Cancer Is Selling Unconditional Love On Craigslist For $0
- • Carefree People Don’t Have Attachments - Here Are 25 Reasons Why
- • Are Family Members Toxic? 10 Things to Remember
- • The World As We Know It Has Changed And There Is No Going Back To What We Were - 6 Predictions
- • How To Get More Energy: 8 New Secrets Backed By Research
- December (6)
- 2015 (50)
- December (4)
- November (6)
- • Neutrality — The Gateway To Transcend The Matrix
- • Soul and Personality
- • Dalai Lama on Paris & Syria – A Message for Peace
- • Know Yourself. Heal. Self-Liberate. Experiment. Build Community.
- • Groundbreaking Discovery: Man Solves Tesla’s Secret To Amplifying Power By Nearly 5000%
- • Johnny Depp Intends To Buy Site Of Wounded Knee Massacre And Gift It Back To The Native American People
- October (10)
- • Waking Up The Goddess: Where Men Meet Women
- • Why we cry
- • You’re Not Wrong
- • Canada’s New PM Issues Challenge to US – “We’re Ending Wars and Legalizing Pot”
- • Meet the USA's First School District to Serve 100% Organic Meals
- • Going Through Shadows: The Vortex Of Transformation.
- • The Rise of Lowsumerism
- • There is something extraordinary happening in the world
- • Three Ways Canadian Thanksgiving Differs From American Thanksgiving
- • Leonardo DiCaprio - Bring Down Big Oil Corporations
- September (3)
- August (2)
- July (2)
- June (6)
- May (5)
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (5)
- January (4)
- 2014 (57)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (4)
- September (6)
- • Water on Earth predates Sun, meaning our life originated elsewhere – study
- • Buffalo Treaty: Native tribes sign bison revival plan in US and Canada
- • US to pay largest Native American nation $554 million in landmark settlement
- • Free Braco Gazes - Peace, Love, Healing, & Miracles!
- • Being Vegan and Raw Vegan Lifestyle
- • New Experiment Will Answer Some Mind-Bending Questions On Whether We Live In a Hologram
- August (3)
- July (3)
- June (4)
- May (2)
- April (3)
- March (7)
- • Spring Into the Adventure! How the Symbolism of Frogs Can Support Us Through Change
- • The Gateways Are As Open As You Are
- • Shifting Seasons And Time…..
- • Marching Forward
- • Stanford Physicist: Vast, Powerful Realm Between Particles Influenced by Human Consciousness
- • We Are Living In The Most Important Time In The History Of The Universe - Dolores Cannon Discusses Our Current Paradigm
- • Creating A Path Where There Is None
- February (9)
- • February Update
- • Finding Direction When You Feel Lost
- • How Our Narratives Inform Our Hopes for Change
- • Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency Mitigation
- • The Alchemy of Responsible Reflection
- • How You Attract Information In A Vibrational Universe
- • 'You shall not pass!' Native American groups vow to block Keystone XL pipeline
- • Architecture of the Light
- • Meeting Our Past Selves Outside Of Time
- January (10)
- • Journey to the Enchanted Forest – Your New Moon & New Year Power Animal Awaits
- • Year of the Horse is Upon Us – Ready, Set, Go!
- • The 118 Days of Creation
- • How Much Are You Filtering Your Truth? – Image Alterations Aren't Just For Big Media Anymore
- • Eight Signs You May Be Experiencing a Spiritual Awakening
- • 13 Signs You’re a Witch
- • How To Tell If You Had A Past Life In Atlantis
- • How Do I Know If It’s My Soul or My Ego Talking?
- • The Baby and the Bath Water
- • The Foundation for All Healing
- 2013 (104)
- December (12)
- • Activate Your Creative Power With Conscious Intention
- • Riding the Train of Life – Symbolism to Navigate the Tracks of Your Journey
- • Are We the Makers of Our Own Fate?
- • Lighting Your Truth to Freedom, Passion & Inspired Leadership – Closing Chapter 2013 to Write Chapter 2014′s Lively & Instinctual Year of the Horse
- • The Power of a Poor Night’s Sleep
- • Why Entrepreneurship Is A Spiritual Expression Of Freedom
- • Death and Dying from a Shamanic Perspective
- • Sliding Home For Christmas
- • The Solstice Vibe
- • You’re Only As Strong As Your Weakest Link But As Wise As Your Strongest
- • The Speed of Infinity
- • World Aids Day – December 1st
- November (29)
- • The Courage To Live Box Less -- Getting Outside The Label Labyrinth
- • The Quantum Leap Ascension Process
- • Toronto Named Most Youth Friendly City
- • Thanksgiving Day Recalibration
- • Stop Looking And See
- • Getting the Doomsday Hunger?
- • What I Hope to Be Next Year
- • At The Point of No Return
- • The Faery Referral Network
- • Thoughts on Compassion and Detachment
- • Top Ten Myths About Being a Psychic/Healer
- • Tell the “Lords” of Karma That You Are Sovereign – No Longer a Lightworker Part 2
- • Where New JFK Evidence Points - 50 Years Later + Videos
- • 3 Reasons Why It’s Better to NOT Manifest a Soul Mate Relationship
- • 10 Tycoons Who Meditate Daily To Keep Up With Their Hectic Business Life
- • Why We Should Rethink What We've Been Told About Consciousness
- • The Value of “Sloth” – Expanding Our Perceptions for Greater Wisdom
- • Why Your Voice Matters and How To Get Heard
- • Breaking the Barriers of Belief
- • Stop Being "Positive" & Start Getting Real (Joy) In Your Life
- • Are We Living in the Matrix?
- • Is the Sharing Economy Here Yet?
- • Find Your Power in Self-Sufficiency
- • Heads Up
- • Plants Exhibit The Same Senses As Humans And See, Touch, Smell, Hear and Even Taste
- • Healing The Wound(s) Within The Heart Chakra
- • True or False? I Am Perfect Just As I Am
- • Indigenous Elders and Medicine Peoples Council Statement on Fukushima
- • A Phoenix Rising - A Recommended Read
- October (18)
- • 20 Good Reasons to Have Clear Personal Boundaries
- • Let Go of Who You Are to Become What You Might Be
- • How to Be Happy: The 10-Day Happiness Challenge
- • The Law of Assumption
- • A Message from the Faeries
- • New Device Stores Electricity On Silicon Chips
- • The NAME
- • 6 Big Excuses That Can Derail Your Life
- • A Clean Break
- • An Original Blueprint
- • Your Angry Voice Demolishes Your Brilliant Argument
- • Where the Action Is NOW– Relationships
- • Homo Luminous: The New Human
- • The Two New Humanities
- • How Do I Discern the Real from False?
- • Walking on Sacred Ground
- • Not All Have Halos
- • AGAIN, Remember Who You Are
- September (14)
- • Be Careful of How You Use Words!
- • Frequency Gates – What The Heck Are They?
- • Following Our Joy to Find Freedom
- • You`ve Been Warned: Why You Need To Be Ready for Total Grid Failure
- • Spirituality and Ethics in Business
- • Life – The Projection From Within
- • 10 Ways to Shift Your Consciousness
- • The Fall Inside
- • Fall Equinox-The Gate Closes
- • Self Honesty May Deepen the Bliss Into Actualization and Full Embodiment
- • Changing Dynamics of Relationships
- • Biophotons
- • Autumn Equinox 2013 Cosmic Weather Forecast
- • Autumn Equinox: The Archangel Michael Meditation
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (3)
- May (12)
- • How Gratitude Can Help You Through Hard Times
- • The World of Opposites: A New Take
- • The God Gene
- • Souls of Animals
- • What If Television News Disappeared?
- • Every Warrior’s Achilles Heel
- • Building Your Spiritual Muscles
- • Transmuting Collective Human Consciousness By Channeling Light
- • Is DMT the Gateway to Hell?
- • The Psychological Crossroad of An Unhappy Life
- • Science Finds Fountain of Youth Brain Region That Slows Down Aging
- • Remember The Power Of The Voice
- April (6)
- March (1)
- February (1)
- December (12)
- 2012 (12)
- December (2)
- November (5)
- October (4)
- April (1)
- 2011 (2)
- June (1)
- January (1)