Category: Journeys Hits: 1298
The first thing that marketers use to sell a product is sex, and it seems that the second thing is now spirituality. Products ranging from sports gear to food are being sold through marketing methods that employ spiritual philosophies. The prefix of metro- now needs to be attached before spirituality to define how the Buddhist, Taoist, and Hindu values have been mainstreamed into easily understandable and buyable ideas.
Through the popularity of the spiritual concepts and habits, marketers have managed to create a unique tactic to advertise their product in which buying the products not only satisfies the physical needs of the consumer but also the emotional and spiritual ones. An entirely inexhaustible niche. This places the particular brand above all others with the same product.
Many groups have also adopted this newest way of being cool that starts with body positivity and ends at veganism where both are being promoted through spirituality. And while it’s not wrong to do that, branding spirituality on random acts without fully integrating it holistically in living is more like self-promotion.
Yoga classes, organic restaurants, clothing outlets and self-discovering retreats that connect a person with their spiritual selves are loaded with scores of well to do folks in the chicest outfits discussing the concepts of love and compassion according to Buddhist philosophy while a homeless person outside the same café sits in utter invisibility.
Yoga too has become the poster child for spiritual living, yet a considerable number of people practicing it can be called anything but spiritual. The yoga pant fashion dominated the internet a year ago with women dressing in these tight pants to go everywhere but the studio. Pages over pages were plastered with pictures of translucent pants which revealed ample bums to the entire world enticing men to pay attention to the body which in yoga philosophy was all about; being the temple for the soul and a tool for humans to discover the peace within.
For many yoga students the method is reduced to an exercise to tone the legs and flatten the abs and being seen in hundreds of dollar worth of athleisure clothing which is the newest must have for any fitness conscious person. The phrase “Yoga – it’s not about tightening your ass, it’s about getting your head out of it” even emerged to the chuckle of many of us who wondered about the Instagram posts of these consumers who had turned over a new leaf of spiritual materialism.
What’s Wrong With Spiritual Materialism
Spiritual materialism brought with it a new line of products which included magical chakra healing crystals, Buddha and other god’s figures, stone jewelry and singing bowls, yet in practice, the simple ascetic lifestyles of the dervishes who used the singing bowl are nowhere to be seen. It became cool to be scantily clad or even nude to advertise your spiritual product with rarely actually accepting the body the way it is, which for white folk means not perfectly shimmering sun-kissed golden.
Till the time people ask age-old questions like about the meanings of their life, the path to fulfillment and our purpose in the world, there will always be new philosophies and new solutions offered. Some of these suddenly become popular through celebrities or T.V shows and of course, companies very affably provide the products to go with them. But what are true spiritual values and how can the modern man really make use of them?
The authentic spiritual values are not about changing oneself and creating a better newer you and instead of rejecting who we are it’s about understanding ourselves in the most intimate way that we can. To be authentically spiritual means to have a more mindful approach and participation in our own lives rather than violently carving out a more appealing version of ourselves for the same ego.
In changing ourselves with aggressively cut away the parts of us we don’t like and consider it something shameful, we then carry this pain, suffering, and shame into our life practices.
How To Be Spiritually Authentic
The true spiritual value is of love and nonviolence and seeing our darkest parts through that and lifting ourselves out of the darkness with that love. We don’t need to attend any retreats for that or buy any products. We don’t need to follow a certain guru or a lifestyle to be spiritual rather introspection and courage to accept what we see, spread the knowledge of truth to others whom we share the living experience with.
To be authentic in our spiritual search means to be non-judgmental and loving both within and outside our spiritual practice circles and not only in the yoga studio. Instead of being selectively spiritual it’s about showing compassion to everyone and embracing others for who they are. Forgiveness is a requirement for healing and without healing true spirituality cannot be reached. Grudges are resentments are what we need to change first rather than our diet or the company we buy clothes from.
To feel better about ourselves we need to develop unconditional love rather than unattainable goals, for it’s not somewhere in the future where contentment lies but rather in this very moment.
It looks like people will never get tired of the endless advice on how to improve our emotional and spiritual well-being. Though regardless of the amount of information available to us, our need for analogies that exceed ordinary life never changes. We crave for the proof that there is more than this everyday life of grocery shopping and laundry, and working hard for a vacation every once in a while. We desire the answers that combine the spiritual and supernatural realm but we forget that the spirituality needs to be practiced not in the ideal situation but with patience in the most uncomfortable of all scenarios.
Our current trend of metro spiritual culture or the habits of spiritual materialism are our tries of bridging the gap between our distinguishable physical/emotional needs and are often hard to perceive, intangible spiritual needs.
By providing us with a set of belief, or even different packages of sets of beliefs, this popular form of spirituality capacities within us a sense of temporary enlightenment, of doing good, without asking too much in return while true awareness lingers beneath, ignored, under the lies we tell ourselves.
By Judy Robinson
Judy Robinson is an enthusiastic blogger who spends her entire day writing quality blogs. She is a passionate reader and loves to share quality content prevalent on the web with her friends and followers. Her forte is Fashion, Fitness and lifestyle, keeping a keen eye on latest trends in those industries. For more updates follow her on Twitter @judyrobinson
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
© 2017 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved.
Archive: Andels Journeys
- 2017 (34)
- October (1)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (8)
- • The Trap of Righteousness
- • The Commercialization of Spirituality - A Multi-Billion Dollar Corporate Takeover!
- • Loneliness
- • The Masks Are Coming Off - Unveiling False Teachers
- • The Dynamics Of Fear In Fear Inducing Times
- • 10 “Spiritual” Things People Do That Are Total Bullshit
- • Karma Teaches Jerks A Valuable Lesson In Life
- • Is The New Spirituality Just A Trend?
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (2)
- February (3)
- January (3)
- 2016 (30)
- December (6)
- • This Woman Died of Stage 4 Cancer and Came Back From the Dead With a Shocking Message
- • Article Four: The Cast of Characters. AKA: The Wrecking Crew.
- • Cognitive Dissonance made easy
- • The Principle of Mission
- • Article Three: Donald Trump’s Personality and Character Structure
- • Article Two: United States Elections 2016: Getting the Right Perspective
- November (3)
- October (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (1)
- April (3)
- March (3)
- February (3)
- January (6)
- • My Pleasure
- • Vancouver Man With Stomach Cancer Is Selling Unconditional Love On Craigslist For $0
- • Carefree People Don’t Have Attachments - Here Are 25 Reasons Why
- • Are Family Members Toxic? 10 Things to Remember
- • The World As We Know It Has Changed And There Is No Going Back To What We Were - 6 Predictions
- • How To Get More Energy: 8 New Secrets Backed By Research
- December (6)
- 2015 (50)
- December (4)
- November (6)
- • Neutrality — The Gateway To Transcend The Matrix
- • Soul and Personality
- • Dalai Lama on Paris & Syria – A Message for Peace
- • Know Yourself. Heal. Self-Liberate. Experiment. Build Community.
- • Groundbreaking Discovery: Man Solves Tesla’s Secret To Amplifying Power By Nearly 5000%
- • Johnny Depp Intends To Buy Site Of Wounded Knee Massacre And Gift It Back To The Native American People
- October (10)
- • Waking Up The Goddess: Where Men Meet Women
- • Why we cry
- • You’re Not Wrong
- • Canada’s New PM Issues Challenge to US – “We’re Ending Wars and Legalizing Pot”
- • Meet the USA's First School District to Serve 100% Organic Meals
- • Going Through Shadows: The Vortex Of Transformation.
- • The Rise of Lowsumerism
- • There is something extraordinary happening in the world
- • Three Ways Canadian Thanksgiving Differs From American Thanksgiving
- • Leonardo DiCaprio - Bring Down Big Oil Corporations
- September (3)
- August (2)
- July (2)
- June (6)
- May (5)
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (5)
- January (4)
- 2014 (56)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (4)
- September (5)
- • Water on Earth predates Sun, meaning our life originated elsewhere – study
- • Buffalo Treaty: Native tribes sign bison revival plan in US and Canada
- • US to pay largest Native American nation $554 million in landmark settlement
- • Being Vegan and Raw Vegan Lifestyle
- • New Experiment Will Answer Some Mind-Bending Questions On Whether We Live In a Hologram
- August (3)
- July (3)
- June (4)
- May (2)
- April (3)
- March (7)
- • Spring Into the Adventure! How the Symbolism of Frogs Can Support Us Through Change
- • The Gateways Are As Open As You Are
- • Shifting Seasons And Time…..
- • Marching Forward
- • Stanford Physicist: Vast, Powerful Realm Between Particles Influenced by Human Consciousness
- • We Are Living In The Most Important Time In The History Of The Universe - Dolores Cannon Discusses Our Current Paradigm
- • Creating A Path Where There Is None
- February (9)
- • February Update
- • Finding Direction When You Feel Lost
- • How Our Narratives Inform Our Hopes for Change
- • Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency Mitigation
- • The Alchemy of Responsible Reflection
- • How You Attract Information In A Vibrational Universe
- • 'You shall not pass!' Native American groups vow to block Keystone XL pipeline
- • Architecture of the Light
- • Meeting Our Past Selves Outside Of Time
- January (10)
- • Journey to the Enchanted Forest – Your New Moon & New Year Power Animal Awaits
- • Year of the Horse is Upon Us – Ready, Set, Go!
- • The 118 Days of Creation
- • How Much Are You Filtering Your Truth? – Image Alterations Aren't Just For Big Media Anymore
- • Eight Signs You May Be Experiencing a Spiritual Awakening
- • 13 Signs You’re a Witch
- • How To Tell If You Had A Past Life In Atlantis
- • How Do I Know If It’s My Soul or My Ego Talking?
- • The Baby and the Bath Water
- • The Foundation for All Healing
- 2013 (104)
- December (12)
- • Activate Your Creative Power With Conscious Intention
- • Riding the Train of Life – Symbolism to Navigate the Tracks of Your Journey
- • Are We the Makers of Our Own Fate?
- • Lighting Your Truth to Freedom, Passion & Inspired Leadership – Closing Chapter 2013 to Write Chapter 2014′s Lively & Instinctual Year of the Horse
- • The Power of a Poor Night’s Sleep
- • Why Entrepreneurship Is A Spiritual Expression Of Freedom
- • Death and Dying from a Shamanic Perspective
- • Sliding Home For Christmas
- • The Solstice Vibe
- • You’re Only As Strong As Your Weakest Link But As Wise As Your Strongest
- • The Speed of Infinity
- • World Aids Day – December 1st
- November (29)
- • The Courage To Live Box Less -- Getting Outside The Label Labyrinth
- • The Quantum Leap Ascension Process
- • Toronto Named Most Youth Friendly City
- • Thanksgiving Day Recalibration
- • Stop Looking And See
- • Getting the Doomsday Hunger?
- • What I Hope to Be Next Year
- • At The Point of No Return
- • The Faery Referral Network
- • Thoughts on Compassion and Detachment
- • Top Ten Myths About Being a Psychic/Healer
- • Tell the “Lords” of Karma That You Are Sovereign – No Longer a Lightworker Part 2
- • Where New JFK Evidence Points - 50 Years Later + Videos
- • 3 Reasons Why It’s Better to NOT Manifest a Soul Mate Relationship
- • 10 Tycoons Who Meditate Daily To Keep Up With Their Hectic Business Life
- • Why We Should Rethink What We've Been Told About Consciousness
- • The Value of “Sloth” – Expanding Our Perceptions for Greater Wisdom
- • Why Your Voice Matters and How To Get Heard
- • Breaking the Barriers of Belief
- • Stop Being "Positive" & Start Getting Real (Joy) In Your Life
- • Are We Living in the Matrix?
- • Is the Sharing Economy Here Yet?
- • Find Your Power in Self-Sufficiency
- • Heads Up
- • Plants Exhibit The Same Senses As Humans And See, Touch, Smell, Hear and Even Taste
- • Healing The Wound(s) Within The Heart Chakra
- • True or False? I Am Perfect Just As I Am
- • Indigenous Elders and Medicine Peoples Council Statement on Fukushima
- • A Phoenix Rising - A Recommended Read
- October (18)
- • 20 Good Reasons to Have Clear Personal Boundaries
- • Let Go of Who You Are to Become What You Might Be
- • How to Be Happy: The 10-Day Happiness Challenge
- • The Law of Assumption
- • A Message from the Faeries
- • New Device Stores Electricity On Silicon Chips
- • The NAME
- • 6 Big Excuses That Can Derail Your Life
- • A Clean Break
- • An Original Blueprint
- • Your Angry Voice Demolishes Your Brilliant Argument
- • Where the Action Is NOW– Relationships
- • Homo Luminous: The New Human
- • The Two New Humanities
- • How Do I Discern the Real from False?
- • Walking on Sacred Ground
- • Not All Have Halos
- • AGAIN, Remember Who You Are
- September (14)
- • Be Careful of How You Use Words!
- • Frequency Gates – What The Heck Are They?
- • Following Our Joy to Find Freedom
- • You`ve Been Warned: Why You Need To Be Ready for Total Grid Failure
- • Spirituality and Ethics in Business
- • Life – The Projection From Within
- • 10 Ways to Shift Your Consciousness
- • The Fall Inside
- • Fall Equinox-The Gate Closes
- • Self Honesty May Deepen the Bliss Into Actualization and Full Embodiment
- • Changing Dynamics of Relationships
- • Biophotons
- • Autumn Equinox 2013 Cosmic Weather Forecast
- • Autumn Equinox: The Archangel Michael Meditation
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (3)
- May (12)
- • How Gratitude Can Help You Through Hard Times
- • The World of Opposites: A New Take
- • The God Gene
- • Souls of Animals
- • What If Television News Disappeared?
- • Every Warrior’s Achilles Heel
- • Building Your Spiritual Muscles
- • Transmuting Collective Human Consciousness By Channeling Light
- • Is DMT the Gateway to Hell?
- • The Psychological Crossroad of An Unhappy Life
- • Science Finds Fountain of Youth Brain Region That Slows Down Aging
- • Remember The Power Of The Voice
- April (6)
- March (1)
- February (1)
- December (12)
- 2012 (12)
- December (2)
- November (5)
- October (4)
- April (1)
- 2011 (2)
- June (1)
- January (1)