Category: Journeys Hits: 2007
We’d all like to know how to get more energy when life throws curve balls at us.
These ideas from psychology research can help you keep going and overcome a terminal case of I-don’t-feel-like-it.
Let’s get started…
1) Do The “Obvious Trio”
Yeah, yeah, I said this would be “new”secrets but we have to get these three obvious ones out of the way now.
Everybody says you should get more sleep, exercise and eat better. And, of course, they’re right. But nobody actually follows through on those things. So let’s focus on implementation for the Obvious Trio:
How do you get more more energy by exercising? Try to exercise during your lunch hour. (At least go for a walk.)
Office workers who exercised at lunch were more productive, less stressed and had more energy.
In 2004 researchers at Leeds Metropolitan University in England found that workers who used their company’s gym were more productive and felt better able to handle their workloads… Overall, they felt better about their work and less stressed when they exercised. And they felt less fatigued in the afternoon, despite expending energy at lunchtime.
How do you get more sleep? Don’t set your alarm for when you need to wake up. Set it to remind you when to go to bed.
A useful technique is setting an alarm clock—not to wake up, but to get ready for bed. Set an alarm for an hour before bedtime. When it goes off, finish up any work on the computer, turn off the TV, turn off any unnecessary lights, and start to wind down for the day.
What’s an easy way to eat healthier? Ask yourself, “What would Batman eat?” Yes, I am serious. No, I did not make that up to be clever. This superheroic advice comes from Brian Wansink, a professor at Cornell.
Studies showed when kids asked themselves this question before eating they were far more likely to reach for apple slices over french fries. “That will only work for kids,” you say? “You’re wrong,” I say. Here’s Brian:
The same thing works for adults. If you’re faced with a decision like, “Should I eat dessert?” think of an admired person in your life. Say to yourself, “What would my cool friend Steve do?” You’ll find that about a third of the time it will be easier for you to make healthier decisions.
(For more on how to eat right easily by using psychology, click here.)
Okay, obvious stuff is done. Having energy when you need it doesn’t mean manipulating your body as much as changing your schedule…
2) Know When You’re At Your Best
You know how powerful jet lag is? Just by betting on west coast teams in every Monday Night Football game where they played east coast teams you’d beat the point spread 70% of the time.
NFL teams that crossed three time zones for a game “were twice as likely to be beaten by a lower-ranked opponent in the tournament’s first round.”
But we’re not here to talk sports. If you’re a card-carrying night owl and need to be at your best, do not schedule important things for 8AM.
Paying attention to your circadian rhythm has huge energy benefits: athletes are much more likely to break world records when they align their competitions with their internal clock.
One study found that in sports as varied as running, weightlifting, and swimming, athletes competing when their bodies experienced the second boost of circadian energy were more likely to break a world record. Long jumpers, for instance, launched themselves nearly 4 percent farther when the body was at its circadian peak.
(To learn the schedule the most successful people follow every day, click here.)
Watches synchronized? Good. Energy is also about the choices you make and the things you don’t do…
3) Pick The Right Goals — And Shut Up
Maybe you have relative goals: I want to beat Larry. Or maybe you have objective goals: I want a perfect score.
But if you want to boost your energy levels the only goal you need to keep in mind is to “get better.”
Research shows that a focus on getting-better also enhances the experience of working; we naturally find what we do more interesting and enjoyable when we think about it in terms of progress, rather than perfection… In fact, a recent set of studies shows that interest doesn’t just keep you going despite fatigue; it actually replenishes your energy.
That’s not too hard. Just focus on improving at whatever it is you have to do. But then comes the second part: shut up.
Research shows telling people about your goals actually saps the energy you need to complete them:
Results indicate that one reason positive fantasies predict poor achievement is because they do not generate energy to pursue the desired future.
(To learn how to happier and more successful, click here.)
You’re focused on “getting better” and you’ve taken a vow of silence. Awesome. So what attitude produces energy?
4) Be Optimistic
Soldiers are going on a 40 kilometer march in full gear. But researchers tell some of them the march is 30km, others it’s 40km and another group it’s 60km.
Now what happens when you test the level of stress hormones in their bodies as they hike? Their stress levels match their expectations, not the reality.
What did the researchers take away from these results? “Both hope and despair are self-fulfilling prophecies.”
…the brain does not want the body to expend its resources unless we have a reasonable chance of success. Our physical strength is not accessible to us if the brain does not believe in the outcome, because the worst possible thing for humans to do is to expend all of our resources and fail. If we do not believe we can make it, we will not get the resources we need to make it. The moment we believe, the gates are opened, and a flood of energy is unleashed. Both hope and despair are self-fulfilling prophecies.
If you’re optimistic, you’ll have more energy. If you’re pessimistic, you’ll be more stressed. It’s all about how you interpet what is going on, not what is actually happening.
(To learn the science of how you can be more optimistic, click here.)
Feeling positive now? Good. But you probably have a lot of stuff you need to get done. What should you tackle if you want to keep your energy levels high?
5) Do Stuff You’re Good At
Have any say in which projects you get assigned at work? Got any control over what tasks you need to do around the house? Doing things that you have a talent for makes a big difference.
The more hours per day adults believe they use their strengths, the more likely they are to report having ample energy, feeling well-rested, being happy, smiling or laughing a lot, learning something interesting, and being treated with respect.
(To learn how to stop being lazy and get more done, click here.)
You know what to do. But what’s an error we all make that tanks your motivation unnecessarily?
6) Actually Finish Something
Often we’re all bouncing around between 5 different things. But focusing on one thing and finishing it can boost your motivation considerably.
And the science is with Dan. Teresa Amabile‘s research at Harvard backs him up.
People’s inner work lives seemed to lift or drag depending on whether or not their projects moved forward, even by small increments. Small wins often had a surprisingly strong positive effect, and small losses a surprisingly strong negative one.
(To learn how to be more motivated, click here.)
Maybe you’re doing all this stuff but you still reach a point where you’re just out of gas. How can you make better decisions when you’re exhausted and in a brain fog?
7) Tired? Go With Your Gut
The research is clear on this one. When you’re full of pep, trust that logical brain. When you’re wiped, go with your gut:
Executive functioning depends on energy provided by glucose, and we know from previous research that the performance of various conscious processes deteriorates when energy is low… when making decisions, the unconscious can best be trusted when blood glucose levels are low, whereas conscious deliberation yields the best results when blood glucose levels are elevated.
(To learn the 4 rituals neuroscience says will make you happy, click here.)
Alright, you got everything on that to-do list done today. Congrats. But what’s the best way to spend your downtime so you have high energy levels tomorrow?
8) Recharge By Being Active, Not Passive
Counterintuitive, I know. But when you’re tired tonight but want to not be tired tomorrow, do active things like exercise or spend time with friends.
Don’t do a marathon session in front of the TV or mindlessly surf the web.
According to the American Psychological Association, the most effective stress-relief strategies are exercising or playing sports, praying or attending a religious service, reading, listening to music, spending time with friends or family, getting a massage, going outside for a walk, meditating or doing yoga, and spending time with a creative hobby. (The least effective strategies are gambling, shopping, smoking, drinking, eating, playing video games, surfing the Internet, and watching TV or movies for more than two hours.)
(To learn the best way to manage your time, click here.)
I’m glad you had the pep to get this far. (See? It’s working already.) Let’s round everything up and learn the most loving way to get more energy.
Here’s how to get more energy:
- Do The “Obvious Trio”: Exercise at lunch, set your alarm for bedtime, and ask, “What would Batman eat?”
- Know When You’re At Your Best: Night owls, schedule that job interview for later in the day.
- Pick The Right Goals And Shut Up. Focus on getting better and don’t talk about goals. (And I’ll shut up soon, I promise.)
- Be Optimistic. Remember: “Both hope and despair are self-fulfilling prophecies.”
- Do Stuff You’re Good At. Using your “signature strengths” makes you happier and more energetic.
- Actually Finish Something. “Small Wins” for the win.
- Tired? Go With Your Gut. When you’re pooped, trust your instincts.
- Recharge By Being Active, Not Passive. Out with friends, good. Netflix binge, bad.
So what’s that final thing that will give you more energy — and warm your heart?
Again, counterintuitive. Doing more here doesn’t drain you, it’s a pick-me-up. In fact, it can save your life.
Laurence Gonzales studied who survives the most dangerous situations, where life is on the line and lack of energy means death. Those who helped others were more likely to survive themselves.
Helping someone else is the best way to ensure your own survival. It takes you out of yourself. It helps you to rise above your fears. Now you’re a rescuer, not a victim. And seeing how your leadership and skill buoy others up gives you more focus and energy to persevere. The cycle reinforces itself: You buoy them up, and their response buoys you up. Many people who survive alone report that they were doing it for someone else (a wife, boyfriend, mother, son) back home.
Okay, you’re done reading. I hope you’re not exhausted. If you are, there’s a simple solution:
Offer to help someone you love right now.
It’s not a selfish path to energy; it’s a thoughtful way to make both of you much happier.
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
© 2008-2018 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved.
Archive: Andels Journeys
- 2019 (3)
- 2018 (18)
- December (2)
- November (1)
- October (1)
- September (2)
- August (1)
- July (1)
- June (1)
- May (3)
- April (1)
- March (1)
- February (1)
- January (3)
- 2017 (40)
- December (1)
- November (5)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (8)
- • The Trap of Righteousness
- • The Commercialization of Spirituality - A Multi-Billion Dollar Corporate Takeover!
- • Loneliness
- • The Masks Are Coming Off - Unveiling False Teachers
- • The Dynamics Of Fear In Fear Inducing Times
- • 10 “Spiritual” Things People Do That Are Total Bullshit
- • Karma Teaches Jerks A Valuable Lesson In Life
- • Is The New Spirituality Just A Trend?
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (2)
- February (3)
- January (2)
- 2016 (29)
- December (5)
- November (3)
- October (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (1)
- April (3)
- March (3)
- February (3)
- January (6)
- • My Pleasure
- • Vancouver Man With Stomach Cancer Is Selling Unconditional Love On Craigslist For $0
- • Carefree People Don’t Have Attachments - Here Are 25 Reasons Why
- • Are Family Members Toxic? 10 Things to Remember
- • The World As We Know It Has Changed And There Is No Going Back To What We Were - 6 Predictions
- • How To Get More Energy: 8 New Secrets Backed By Research
- 2015 (50)
- December (4)
- November (6)
- • Neutrality — The Gateway To Transcend The Matrix
- • Soul and Personality
- • Dalai Lama on Paris & Syria – A Message for Peace
- • Know Yourself. Heal. Self-Liberate. Experiment. Build Community.
- • Groundbreaking Discovery: Man Solves Tesla’s Secret To Amplifying Power By Nearly 5000%
- • Johnny Depp Intends To Buy Site Of Wounded Knee Massacre And Gift It Back To The Native American People
- October (10)
- • Waking Up The Goddess: Where Men Meet Women
- • Why we cry
- • You’re Not Wrong
- • Canada’s New PM Issues Challenge to US – “We’re Ending Wars and Legalizing Pot”
- • Meet the USA's First School District to Serve 100% Organic Meals
- • Going Through Shadows: The Vortex Of Transformation.
- • The Rise of Lowsumerism
- • There is something extraordinary happening in the world
- • Three Ways Canadian Thanksgiving Differs From American Thanksgiving
- • Leonardo DiCaprio - Bring Down Big Oil Corporations
- September (3)
- August (2)
- July (2)
- June (6)
- May (5)
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (5)
- January (4)
- 2014 (56)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (4)
- September (5)
- • Water on Earth predates Sun, meaning our life originated elsewhere – study
- • Buffalo Treaty: Native tribes sign bison revival plan in US and Canada
- • US to pay largest Native American nation $554 million in landmark settlement
- • Being Vegan and Raw Vegan Lifestyle
- • New Experiment Will Answer Some Mind-Bending Questions On Whether We Live In a Hologram
- August (3)
- July (3)
- June (4)
- May (2)
- April (3)
- March (7)
- • Spring Into the Adventure! How the Symbolism of Frogs Can Support Us Through Change
- • The Gateways Are As Open As You Are
- • Shifting Seasons And Time…..
- • Marching Forward
- • Stanford Physicist: Vast, Powerful Realm Between Particles Influenced by Human Consciousness
- • We Are Living In The Most Important Time In The History Of The Universe - Dolores Cannon Discusses Our Current Paradigm
- • Creating A Path Where There Is None
- February (9)
- • February Update
- • Finding Direction When You Feel Lost
- • How Our Narratives Inform Our Hopes for Change
- • Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency Mitigation
- • The Alchemy of Responsible Reflection
- • How You Attract Information In A Vibrational Universe
- • 'You shall not pass!' Native American groups vow to block Keystone XL pipeline
- • Architecture of the Light
- • Meeting Our Past Selves Outside Of Time
- January (10)
- • Journey to the Enchanted Forest – Your New Moon & New Year Power Animal Awaits
- • Year of the Horse is Upon Us – Ready, Set, Go!
- • The 118 Days of Creation
- • How Much Are You Filtering Your Truth? – Image Alterations Aren't Just For Big Media Anymore
- • Eight Signs You May Be Experiencing a Spiritual Awakening
- • 13 Signs You’re a Witch
- • How To Tell If You Had A Past Life In Atlantis
- • How Do I Know If It’s My Soul or My Ego Talking?
- • The Baby and the Bath Water
- • The Foundation for All Healing
- 2013 (103)
- December (12)
- • Activate Your Creative Power With Conscious Intention
- • Riding the Train of Life – Symbolism to Navigate the Tracks of Your Journey
- • Are We the Makers of Our Own Fate?
- • Lighting Your Truth to Freedom, Passion & Inspired Leadership – Closing Chapter 2013 to Write Chapter 2014′s Lively & Instinctual Year of the Horse
- • The Power of a Poor Night’s Sleep
- • Why Entrepreneurship Is A Spiritual Expression Of Freedom
- • Death and Dying from a Shamanic Perspective
- • Sliding Home For Christmas
- • The Solstice Vibe
- • You’re Only As Strong As Your Weakest Link But As Wise As Your Strongest
- • The Speed of Infinity
- • World Aids Day – December 1st
- November (29)
- • The Courage To Live Box Less -- Getting Outside The Label Labyrinth
- • The Quantum Leap Ascension Process
- • Toronto Named Most Youth Friendly City
- • Thanksgiving Day Recalibration
- • Stop Looking And See
- • Getting the Doomsday Hunger?
- • What I Hope to Be Next Year
- • At The Point of No Return
- • The Faery Referral Network
- • Thoughts on Compassion and Detachment
- • Top Ten Myths About Being a Psychic/Healer
- • Tell the “Lords” of Karma That You Are Sovereign – No Longer a Lightworker Part 2
- • Where New JFK Evidence Points - 50 Years Later + Videos
- • 3 Reasons Why It’s Better to NOT Manifest a Soul Mate Relationship
- • 10 Tycoons Who Meditate Daily To Keep Up With Their Hectic Business Life
- • Why We Should Rethink What We've Been Told About Consciousness
- • The Value of “Sloth” – Expanding Our Perceptions for Greater Wisdom
- • Why Your Voice Matters and How To Get Heard
- • Breaking the Barriers of Belief
- • Stop Being "Positive" & Start Getting Real (Joy) In Your Life
- • Are We Living in the Matrix?
- • Is the Sharing Economy Here Yet?
- • Find Your Power in Self-Sufficiency
- • Heads Up
- • Plants Exhibit The Same Senses As Humans And See, Touch, Smell, Hear and Even Taste
- • Healing The Wound(s) Within The Heart Chakra
- • True or False? I Am Perfect Just As I Am
- • Indigenous Elders and Medicine Peoples Council Statement on Fukushima
- • A Phoenix Rising - A Recommended Read
- October (18)
- • 20 Good Reasons to Have Clear Personal Boundaries
- • Let Go of Who You Are to Become What You Might Be
- • How to Be Happy: The 10-Day Happiness Challenge
- • The Law of Assumption
- • A Message from the Faeries
- • New Device Stores Electricity On Silicon Chips
- • The NAME
- • 6 Big Excuses That Can Derail Your Life
- • A Clean Break
- • An Original Blueprint
- • Your Angry Voice Demolishes Your Brilliant Argument
- • Where the Action Is NOW– Relationships
- • Homo Luminous: The New Human
- • The Two New Humanities
- • How Do I Discern the Real from False?
- • Walking on Sacred Ground
- • Not All Have Halos
- • AGAIN, Remember Who You Are
- September (14)
- • Be Careful of How You Use Words!
- • Frequency Gates – What The Heck Are They?
- • Following Our Joy to Find Freedom
- • You`ve Been Warned: Why You Need To Be Ready for Total Grid Failure
- • Spirituality and Ethics in Business
- • Life – The Projection From Within
- • 10 Ways to Shift Your Consciousness
- • The Fall Inside
- • Fall Equinox-The Gate Closes
- • Self Honesty May Deepen the Bliss Into Actualization and Full Embodiment
- • Changing Dynamics of Relationships
- • Biophotons
- • Autumn Equinox 2013 Cosmic Weather Forecast
- • Autumn Equinox: The Archangel Michael Meditation
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (3)
- May (11)
- • How Gratitude Can Help You Through Hard Times
- • The World of Opposites: A New Take
- • The God Gene
- • Souls of Animals
- • What If Television News Disappeared?
- • Every Warrior’s Achilles Heel
- • Building Your Spiritual Muscles
- • Transmuting Collective Human Consciousness By Channeling Light
- • Is DMT the Gateway to Hell?
- • Science Finds Fountain of Youth Brain Region That Slows Down Aging
- • Remember The Power Of The Voice
- April (6)
- March (1)
- February (1)
- December (12)