Category: Journeys Hits: 2475
I don’t usually participate in any of the tests, surveys, or games that circulate on Facebook, but last week I took part in a quick one that my friend Jenny had posted, being drawn in by the animal nature of it at a time when I also was needing a fun little break. It used a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator to represent a general overlook of your tendencies when it comes to social behavior, decision-making, and lifestyle and then provides an animal personality type that most closely reflects that.
I feel that if you take this kind of test at different points in your life, AND are totally honest in the process, you will discover how you change over time in most direct alignment to the flow of current energy in your life.
I know this to be true, as my current answers are different than the answers the past me would have given. I was very pleasantly surprised and happy with what it reflected – feeling it to be very accurate.
And I realized after taking the test, why it was that I did feel drawn to do so, as there was something in the process to learn and share.
As I looked deeper into my animal personality that showed up, I started to see even more depth and meaning to it and have been reflecting on it the past few days since.
I feel many of us have judgments about what we’d like to be associated with, based on our ideas of what the animals in general represent to us. As well, I believe that we may have conditioned beliefs about each animal and don’t fully understand the wisdom and depth that they all hold in ways that we are unfamiliar with or haven’t taken time to feel into at any great depth.
This also holds true for many things in life, not just the symbolism I am currently sharing about.
It was this realization that nudged me to share about the animal that came up for me, which is the Sloth.
I made some of my own connections and insights immediately, but then found it interesting when doing a quick search online, that there were a lot of generalizations about the Sloth that weren’t the whole story and feeling superficially perceived by the “obvious,” or associated with belief systems to make certain points.
I always recommend, and current energies support this, to dig deeper. There is always much more than meets the eye and it truly is a perfect time to widen your perceptions, don’t you think?
Of course we know how “Sloth” is considered one of the seven deadly sins under Catholicism and Christian moral traditions. Under this religious context it is defined as wasting and neglecting yourself spiritually and emotionally, out of lack of interest or use – to put it nicely.
And other generalizations of Sloth’s symbolism share the widely thought of “laziness, avoidance, and lack of ambition.”
Hmmm… Well, being that I know I don’t possess any of these qualities, nor am religious or believe in deadly sins, I knew Sloth had a beautiful meaning that not only the test’s brief summary shared and my own insights reflected, but also that I further unveiled by digging.
The test’s description of my “Sloth-ness” said:
Peaceful and easygoing, Sloths take things at their own pace and live moment to moment. They are considerate, pleasant, caring, and mellow. Their values are important to them, but they are not ones who particularly care about defending or debating their views publicly. Don’t call them lazy — maybe they are just more relaxed than the rest of us.
This made perfect, accurate sense to me and went along with the quiet, calm, softening qualities I have been sharing about deepening into, as well as the very solitary, introspective times I’ve been in, as I observe and sense everything. While I’ve been moving in slower motion these days, this reflects a relaxing-into the natural energy that is, without trying to force anything and taking only very deliberate, efficient steps – which sometimes seems/looks as if I’m not doing much at all. All of this while realizing that so much IS percolating energetically. So I really don’t need to do a lot, as all is revealed in divine timing and comes together quickly when I do finally set things in motion because I listen to the energy rather than think my way through it.
I’ve come to understand the wastefulness of speeding around to appease contrived time-frames and unnecessary parameters, as well as the impact on not only my well-being, but the product of that “force,” and the example it provides to others.
One of my favorite animal spirit guide websites shares that Sloth’s Wisdom also includes:
- Wisdom associated with moving slowly
- The value of perceived laziness
- Understanding the Tree Spirits
- Ability to access the libraries within the Trees where all Earth knowledge is held
- Understanding when to use tenacious behavior
- Seeing the world upside down
That last one has a really cool symbolism that hit me immediately after receiving Sloth as a reflection, but I’ll get back to that shortly.
I remembered right away that I had opportunity to be in the presence of wild Sloths when I was in Costa Rica exploring the rain forests. I also remember the excitement I felt and was fascinated by the two that we were blessed to come across. One must be very observant to eye these well-camouflaged, quiet, still, non-moving, sweet creatures of the forest.(Photo to the right is of one of them in the trees – very hard to make her out, but you can see her body of hair hanging from the tree home she embraces)
Sloth’s represent many cool qualities and, as you can already tell, have a deep wisdom to impart. All animals do. Everything in nature and yes, pretty much every experience does.
If you identify with “Sloth” or have Sloth as your animal spirit guide totem, then this post is for you. But it is also for everyone who is moving through “Sloth” experiences in their own life (like me) and can see the value that she brings in her teachings.
The Sloth is a creature of psychic vision and aloneness (in the sense of security and comfortability being with yourself). Like owls, they are capable of turning their heads almost 270 degrees, which you can imagine provides them a mysteriously insightful ability to see many perspectives – above, below, and every which way. I’d say that reflects their expanded inner vision, as being able to take in so much externally, can only mirror having the capability of processing that amount of depth and breadth of experience.
It is also this ability that lends to Sloths’ connection to the realm of spirit and their having very strong and clear visionary gifts. Being that they spend their time up in the trees, they can mirror someone who may have, or currently feels, out of place on Earth because of having different ways about them from the society they live in. This is why self nurturing of these gifts in ways that bring them into grounded, useful application for manifestation, becomes important. And with their strong connection to the Tree Spirits, there is that available ancient knowledge that can assist in that process, as well as bring the gifts of vision into partnership and harmony with Earth.
Tree-dwelling and keenly adaptive to branch-living (even mating while hanging from the trees), Sloths teach us balance and a broadened sense of personal space that is freeing and can be created in the most unlikely of places, as long as you are secure within yourself.
As you saw from my photo of the Sloth in Costa Rica, they are very good at camouflaging themselves, which teaches us the ability to merge and shape-shift with our environments in unification, rather than separation.
And of course you may gather that they would symbolize someone who is comfortable being a “loner” and values their freedom of independence and personal space, since Sloths generally live alone.
From this you can easily see their connection to the Tarot’s “Hermit.” This Hermit-like nature, thus whispers to us the “power of silence.” They know its value and also the power of mindfulness, being observant, present, aware, and focused all by going within your inner silence. They understand good use of purposeful retreat in order to prepare for the new. From this place, you are alert and ready to embrace opportunity when it presents itself, having the advantage of the wisdom gained. They also know how to conserve energy and to use it discerningly and efficiently.
From their being judged as lazy, unambitious, and undisciplined, yet actually being quite versed in the moment-to-moment flow, while enjoying this relaxed vantage point of deliberation, you can see their connection to the Tarot’s “Fool.” To others, you, like the Sloth, may look foolish to superficial judgments, but in fact it is you who is laughing the whole way to your dreams. In this way the Fool/Sloth may be encouraging of your devout belief in yourself despite anything or what anyone else says – to follow your heart no matter how crazy or foolish your impulses may seem and trusting that the Universe always takes care of you.
And, to get back to my point from before, I see them also very prominently as perfect and powerful symbols of the Tarot’s “Hanged Man.” Yes indeed, new and expanded perspectives come when we are in a state of suspension and literally turn our world upside down in order to see from all angles of the experience, which provides greater insight and wisdom.
I love this excerpt from an article by Carolyn R. Guss that explores the “Hanged Man” card and its connections to yoga.
“Headstand, Hanged Man, and Tree by Carolyn R. Guss shares:
The Hanged Man is trump #12 in the Tarot’s Major Arcana, a cluster of 22 cards (within a deck of 78) that serves as the archetypal or “soul” energies of the deck. The card depicts a man hanging by one ankle from a tree or wooden frame, with his arms bent at the elbows and his free leg crossed behind the other thigh. It signifies, briefly, release of ego, voluntary surrender, willingness to suspend control, and a non-attachment to outcome. In short, it is a very Zen-like card: one of the tenets of Zen Buddhism being to live in the moment, the present, which is all that we really have. It also, in a reading, can suggest quietly magical alterations in the way we do things—again, though, for the sake of experiment and growth, without expecting a prescribed result.
The Hanged Man suspends himself willingly from a living tree, in order to surrender, as Rachel Pollack says in The Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom, “to the rhythms of life.” His hands, in many versions of the card, are hidden behind him, signifying release of control. Although a human figure, the Hanged Man might as well be a sloth or a bat, an opossum or a kinkajou. He is, for a time, at home in his silly posture.
But why? Pollack says that the Hanged Man “hints of great truths in a simple design,” whereas Arthur Edward Waite, in The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, deems it “a card of profound significance, but all the significance is veiled.” The medieval alchemists felt that standing on one’s head allowed gravity to pull energy from the genitals to the brain, thus transforming the energy of desire into spiritual energy, just as the ancient yogis felt that such a reversed position creates renewal and radiance within the individual. In modern terms it is thought that, as Pollack describes it, “reversal of physical posture serves as a direct symbol of the reversal of attitude and experience that comes through spiritual awakening.”
As you can see, there is so much more than meets the eye to anything and there is great value in exploring things to find deeper meaning. You will find so much wisdom, nudges, and teachings when you open yourself to embrace more.
I have found a deeper sense of appreciation and gratitude for “Sloth” and honor her presence in my life at this time, as an integration of who I am and what I am focused on currently with the major transmutation taking place.
I hope you will find some value in expanding your own concept of our dear friend the Sloth and find appreciation for the times she graces your life with her wisdom and seeks you out to support the changes you are wanting to make.
Tania Marie is a visionary artist, sacred tattoo designer, author & Reiki Master Teacher whose creations, workshops and retreats in the healing arts are inspiring people globally.
ॐ Namasté - Blessings!
© 2008-2019 crystalwind.ca. All rights reserved.
Archive: Andels Journeys
- 2019 (5)
- 2018 (18)
- December (2)
- November (1)
- October (1)
- September (2)
- August (1)
- July (1)
- June (1)
- May (3)
- April (1)
- March (1)
- February (1)
- January (3)
- 2017 (40)
- December (1)
- November (5)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (8)
- • The Trap of Righteousness
- • The Commercialization of Spirituality - A Multi-Billion Dollar Corporate Takeover!
- • Loneliness
- • The Masks Are Coming Off - Unveiling False Teachers
- • The Dynamics Of Fear In Fear Inducing Times
- • 10 “Spiritual” Things People Do That Are Total Bullshit
- • Karma Teaches Jerks A Valuable Lesson In Life
- • Is The New Spirituality Just A Trend?
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (2)
- February (3)
- January (2)
- 2016 (29)
- December (5)
- November (3)
- October (3)
- August (1)
- June (1)
- May (1)
- April (3)
- March (3)
- February (3)
- January (6)
- • My Pleasure
- • Vancouver Man With Stomach Cancer Is Selling Unconditional Love On Craigslist For $0
- • Carefree People Don’t Have Attachments - Here Are 25 Reasons Why
- • Are Family Members Toxic? 10 Things to Remember
- • The World As We Know It Has Changed And There Is No Going Back To What We Were - 6 Predictions
- • How To Get More Energy: 8 New Secrets Backed By Research
- 2015 (50)
- December (4)
- November (6)
- • Neutrality — The Gateway To Transcend The Matrix
- • Soul and Personality
- • Dalai Lama on Paris & Syria – A Message for Peace
- • Know Yourself. Heal. Self-Liberate. Experiment. Build Community.
- • Groundbreaking Discovery: Man Solves Tesla’s Secret To Amplifying Power By Nearly 5000%
- • Johnny Depp Intends To Buy Site Of Wounded Knee Massacre And Gift It Back To The Native American People
- October (10)
- • Waking Up The Goddess: Where Men Meet Women
- • Why we cry
- • You’re Not Wrong
- • Canada’s New PM Issues Challenge to US – “We’re Ending Wars and Legalizing Pot”
- • Meet the USA's First School District to Serve 100% Organic Meals
- • Going Through Shadows: The Vortex Of Transformation.
- • The Rise of Lowsumerism
- • There is something extraordinary happening in the world
- • Three Ways Canadian Thanksgiving Differs From American Thanksgiving
- • Leonardo DiCaprio - Bring Down Big Oil Corporations
- September (3)
- August (2)
- July (2)
- June (6)
- May (5)
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (5)
- January (4)
- 2014 (56)
- December (2)
- November (4)
- October (4)
- September (5)
- • Water on Earth predates Sun, meaning our life originated elsewhere – study
- • Buffalo Treaty: Native tribes sign bison revival plan in US and Canada
- • US to pay largest Native American nation $554 million in landmark settlement
- • Being Vegan and Raw Vegan Lifestyle
- • New Experiment Will Answer Some Mind-Bending Questions On Whether We Live In a Hologram
- August (3)
- July (3)
- June (4)
- May (2)
- April (3)
- March (7)
- • Spring Into the Adventure! How the Symbolism of Frogs Can Support Us Through Change
- • The Gateways Are As Open As You Are
- • Shifting Seasons And Time…..
- • Marching Forward
- • Stanford Physicist: Vast, Powerful Realm Between Particles Influenced by Human Consciousness
- • We Are Living In The Most Important Time In The History Of The Universe - Dolores Cannon Discusses Our Current Paradigm
- • Creating A Path Where There Is None
- February (9)
- • February Update
- • Finding Direction When You Feel Lost
- • How Our Narratives Inform Our Hopes for Change
- • Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency Mitigation
- • The Alchemy of Responsible Reflection
- • How You Attract Information In A Vibrational Universe
- • 'You shall not pass!' Native American groups vow to block Keystone XL pipeline
- • Architecture of the Light
- • Meeting Our Past Selves Outside Of Time
- January (10)
- • Journey to the Enchanted Forest – Your New Moon & New Year Power Animal Awaits
- • Year of the Horse is Upon Us – Ready, Set, Go!
- • The 118 Days of Creation
- • How Much Are You Filtering Your Truth? – Image Alterations Aren't Just For Big Media Anymore
- • Eight Signs You May Be Experiencing a Spiritual Awakening
- • 13 Signs You’re a Witch
- • How To Tell If You Had A Past Life In Atlantis
- • How Do I Know If It’s My Soul or My Ego Talking?
- • The Baby and the Bath Water
- • The Foundation for All Healing
- 2013 (102)
- December (12)
- • Activate Your Creative Power With Conscious Intention
- • Riding the Train of Life – Symbolism to Navigate the Tracks of Your Journey
- • Are We the Makers of Our Own Fate?
- • Lighting Your Truth to Freedom, Passion & Inspired Leadership – Closing Chapter 2013 to Write Chapter 2014′s Lively & Instinctual Year of the Horse
- • The Power of a Poor Night’s Sleep
- • Why Entrepreneurship Is A Spiritual Expression Of Freedom
- • Death and Dying from a Shamanic Perspective
- • Sliding Home For Christmas
- • The Solstice Vibe
- • You’re Only As Strong As Your Weakest Link But As Wise As Your Strongest
- • The Speed of Infinity
- • World Aids Day – December 1st
- November (29)
- • The Courage To Live Box Less -- Getting Outside The Label Labyrinth
- • The Quantum Leap Ascension Process
- • Toronto Named Most Youth Friendly City
- • Thanksgiving Day Recalibration
- • Stop Looking And See
- • Getting the Doomsday Hunger?
- • What I Hope to Be Next Year
- • At The Point of No Return
- • The Faery Referral Network
- • Thoughts on Compassion and Detachment
- • Top Ten Myths About Being a Psychic/Healer
- • Tell the “Lords” of Karma That You Are Sovereign – No Longer a Lightworker Part 2
- • Where New JFK Evidence Points - 50 Years Later + Videos
- • 3 Reasons Why It’s Better to NOT Manifest a Soul Mate Relationship
- • 10 Tycoons Who Meditate Daily To Keep Up With Their Hectic Business Life
- • Why We Should Rethink What We've Been Told About Consciousness
- • The Value of “Sloth” – Expanding Our Perceptions for Greater Wisdom
- • Why Your Voice Matters and How To Get Heard
- • Breaking the Barriers of Belief
- • Stop Being "Positive" & Start Getting Real (Joy) In Your Life
- • Are We Living in the Matrix?
- • Is the Sharing Economy Here Yet?
- • Find Your Power in Self-Sufficiency
- • Heads Up
- • Plants Exhibit The Same Senses As Humans And See, Touch, Smell, Hear and Even Taste
- • Healing The Wound(s) Within The Heart Chakra
- • True or False? I Am Perfect Just As I Am
- • Indigenous Elders and Medicine Peoples Council Statement on Fukushima
- • A Phoenix Rising - A Recommended Read
- October (18)
- • 20 Good Reasons to Have Clear Personal Boundaries
- • Let Go of Who You Are to Become What You Might Be
- • How to Be Happy: The 10-Day Happiness Challenge
- • The Law of Assumption
- • A Message from the Faeries
- • New Device Stores Electricity On Silicon Chips
- • The NAME
- • 6 Big Excuses That Can Derail Your Life
- • A Clean Break
- • An Original Blueprint
- • Your Angry Voice Demolishes Your Brilliant Argument
- • Where the Action Is NOW– Relationships
- • Homo Luminous: The New Human
- • The Two New Humanities
- • How Do I Discern the Real from False?
- • Walking on Sacred Ground
- • Not All Have Halos
- • AGAIN, Remember Who You Are
- September (14)
- • Be Careful of How You Use Words!
- • Frequency Gates – What The Heck Are They?
- • Following Our Joy to Find Freedom
- • You`ve Been Warned: Why You Need To Be Ready for Total Grid Failure
- • Spirituality and Ethics in Business
- • Life – The Projection From Within
- • 10 Ways to Shift Your Consciousness
- • The Fall Inside
- • Fall Equinox-The Gate Closes
- • Self Honesty May Deepen the Bliss Into Actualization and Full Embodiment
- • Changing Dynamics of Relationships
- • Biophotons
- • Autumn Equinox 2013 Cosmic Weather Forecast
- • Autumn Equinox: The Archangel Michael Meditation
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (3)
- May (11)
- • How Gratitude Can Help You Through Hard Times
- • The World of Opposites: A New Take
- • The God Gene
- • Souls of Animals
- • What If Television News Disappeared?
- • Every Warrior’s Achilles Heel
- • Building Your Spiritual Muscles
- • Transmuting Collective Human Consciousness By Channeling Light
- • Is DMT the Gateway to Hell?
- • Science Finds Fountain of Youth Brain Region That Slows Down Aging
- • Remember The Power Of The Voice
- April (6)
- March (1)
- December (12)